Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 160, Sunday

It was another beautiful morning  and the weekend  forecast was for nothing but snow.  The weather people missed this one by a mile.  I figured today I could try to start the Benz and Cadillac and take them out for  a spin around the block.   First however, today I get to be an usher at church, so the cars would have to wait until  I get back.

Church was very good and it ran a little long, but I always enjoy the message, it's like taking a deep breath.  But now that I was back at home I had chores to do and I wanted to work on the cars.  The last time I drove the Benz was in October and I was bit nervous that it wouldn't start.  There is something about a V12 that doesn't want to sit and wait in a garage, they want to be out on the road.  I pulled the cover off and unhooked the battery charger.  With a turn of the key the huge engine fired right up.  One of the most impressive features of the car is the stereo system, which was left cranked up when I last parked the car - it's awesome!


1992 Mercedes 600SEL and 1942 Packard 120 Convertible
 When I parked the car back in October I was having some issues with the vacuum closer doors and had taken it in to see what was wrong.  I was told I need to replace the pump because one of the tubes had broken off and it couldn't be fixed.  At over $1,200 to replace I figured I would fix it after the holidays.  I then started to think, why can't it be fixed.  After removing the carpeting and interior panels from the trunk, I was able to locate the pump and sure enough one of the prongs was broke that the vacuum tube connects to.   I couldn't see why super glue wouldn't work, so I gave it a try.  The break was very jagged and would provide excellent hold if the glue would work.    Within 10 minutes the glue was dry and the prong was as good as new.  Once I had everything back in place I tried all the doors and they work flawlessly.  I was very happy to have just saved myself $1,200 in little less than 30 minutes.  

With that project done, I backed the car out of the garage.   I had forgot just how amazing this now 19 year old car, and once proud flagship of Mercedes was to sit in.  With the fuel gauge reading 1/2 full, I decided to drive into town and top her off.  It was as good as any excuse I could think of to take the car into town.

The rest of the day was spent tinkering with the cars, cleaning up around the garage and just enjoying the day.  They chickens had been out since after church and were all back in the pen by 6pm.  They had laid 5 eggs and enjoyed the day in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment