Sunday, July 31, 2011

Day 362, Kayaking with friends at Sparks

What a great summer night for sleeping.  I had all the windows open last night and the temperature dipped down into the high 40's.  I had clean sheets on the bed and I had a great night sleep.  This morning around 9:40pm I was going to pick up my friend Doug, his kayak, (I had my kayak and Amy Jo's as an extra) then over to Tracy's to pick her up and her kayak.  Once all loaded I needed gas and then we were meeting Wanda, Conan and their daughter with their canoe.  It's almost exactly 45 miles to Sparks Lake, but it is well worth the drive. 

I had just been here with Amy Jo on Tuesday, but the lake is big enough and has enough interesting things to see that I was still excited to go again.  There are about 12 lakes on the Cascades Scenic Highway, but this is my favorite.

Part of the group on Sparks Lake
Once we got there, we quickly unloaded the boats from the vehicles, loaded up the snacks and water, sprayed everyone with sun screen and we were set.  With Amy Jo's kayak we had just the right amount of boats.  Wanda had not kayaked before, so she was eager to try one out and she took to it like a duck to water.  We spent about 3 hours paddling around the lake and the many fingers and water ways.  I could have paddled all day, but 3 hours is plenty and the sun was starting to cook us.

By the time we got home I think everyone was ready for a nap.  I dropped Doug off and then headed home, unloaded the boats and then crashed on the couch for about 30 minutes.

At 4pm I got cleaned up and went to the airport to redeem a Delta Airlines gift certificate and buy a ticket to see my friends Robin and Brad in September.  It takes about 10 minutes to get to the airport, but to my surprise the Delta counter closes out at 4pm and I had just missed them.  The agent said I should come back tomorrow at around 2pm, which I said I would.  My reservation was good until Sunday July 31, so I was not too worried.

No comments:

Post a Comment