Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Day 10, No time in the trailer.

Today was a very busy day with FMCA and our Music on the Green concert series.  The rest of the week isn't looking all that much better either, as far as being able to do anything productive with the trailer.  I did however make the phone call to Amy's contact, but he was not able to help me.  He thought he might have a friend who could help and he was going to check with him and let me know.

On the chicken report, the egg count is now at 5, with one new egg arriving today.  I think I'm holding off on eating any of them until I have an even dozen. I guess I think there might be something special in seeing an entire carton of eggs.  They say farm fresh eggs taste so much better and I'm sure these little organic, semi free range chickens have some mighty fine tasting eggs, but I doubt I'll be able to tell the difference.  I'll be sure to let you know once I make my first omelet.

My next move with the trailer will be to spend a little more time with paint stripper and slowly scrubbing off all the old tar residue and the hand brushed on paint.  At some point I need to start removing all the cabinets, the dinette, the stove/frig combo, and the bed, so I can then remove the paneling.  What's behind the walls and just how extensive the water damage is somewhat of a complete mystery at this point.  I feel very confident in removing and replacing any damaged studs, but I will definitely want a qualified person to redo the wiring and gas plumbing, especially if I ever plan on reselling the trailer.  I've also started wondering about upgrades.  Heating and A/C might be nice and I wonder about installing them in a vintage manner or completely hidden from sight.  Again, this is where the advice of a seasoned vintage restoration shop would come in handy.  One thing I know is I really don't want to remove any of the cabinets until I know that this project is moving forward and I don't end up quitting.  No one wants to buy a gutted project trailer.

Another project I have been thinking about is completely removing the trailer from it's frame and reconditioning the frame including sandblasting and repainting.  At this point I could replace the wood and the half rotted beam in the back, which I'm not sure is original to the trailer.

This is a sample of how I could paint the Traveleze, only with
changes, imagine solid paint across the bottom and the stepped
lines thicker and touching with rounded ends.
As for the exterior of the trailer I continue to envision a polished top with a yellow stair stepped pattern down the sides.  I call it a birds wing pattern, but you would have to see it to understand that analogy.  I also talked with Detail Dustin, as we call him, (he owns a professional auto detail shop) and he is willing to polish the trailer and has done many trailers in the past.  I'm sure once I get all the paint off the trailer it will shine up to a mirror like finish.

Anyway, I hope this weekend will allow me some time to work on the trailer and continue to clean it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment