Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 2, Research, Exploration & Cleaning

Today was a day of research, exploration and cleaning. I made several phone calls to trailer repair and service shops to see if any of them worked on vintage trailers, and ultimately I found 2 that would be interested in looking at the 50. One in Bend and one in Prineville. The shop in Prineville sounded interested and would like to have it as a winter project.  Winter sounds like a perfect time to work on a trailer, its far from the warm days of summer camping or showing it off at a rally.  The shop in Bend sounded very eager too, so I was very pleased with my brief research efforts.  Of course it's not hard to find people willing to take your money, but I want to do as much work as possible and just get help where special tools and expertise is needed.

The exploration part of the day consisted of me crawling under the trailer and picking at the large wood beam at the back end of the trailer. It was obvious that one end was completely rotted away. There didn't seem to be any rot in the floor just the cross beam and I don't think it will be very hard to replace. But then again it might be and that is why I did the research on the trailer repair experts.  If I can't replace it, they can!

Gas stove / refrigerator
Next came some cleaning. Cleaning at this point is more about feeling clean, than doing anything toward actually restoring the trailer.  When we remove the interior paneling, everything will have to come out, but I want it clean anyway.  I started taking apart the stove top, removing the burners, the drip trays, the gas heads and then the entire cook top lifted off. Underneath was a combination of grease, dirt, surface rust and few dead bugs. I took all the parts outside and cleaned everything on the lawn. I was surprised at how well everything cleaned up,  using 409 cleaner, SOS Soap pads a tooth brush, a wire brush, a bucket, the garden hose, lots of towels and tons of elbow grease.

When I was all done, I must admit there was a small moment of satisfaction in seeing all the parts cleaned up and reassembled.  When we go to pull the stove out to replace the paneling, I will have the enamel repainted and deal with the surface rust under the cook top.

Next came the refrigerator, which is part of the stove and is located where the oven usually would be.  This is kind of a unique piece and is hard to replace if you don't have one.   This one is relatively clean, but wow, for the smell. There are rules about keeping a refrigerator door closed when not running, DON'T DO IT. After a few hours and several strong sprays of cleaner the smell started to dissipate. I removed the drip tray under the ice box, removed the wire rack and took them both outside for a good cleaning.  The drip tray came clean with just soap and water but the wire rack needed some serious scouring, as it almost looked like it had been used to cook hamburgers on over a barbecue.  I finally took the rack to the kitchen and sprayed it with oven cleaner and let is sit for several hours.  Then with my trusty SOS Soap Pad I scrubbed for an hour and surprisingly it came clean and looks very presentable.
 
Window without curtains and gas lamp
Amy, wanted the curtains down and out!  She said they smelled.  I had no problem taking them down, but figured I could toss them in the wash and then put them back up until it comes time to redo the interior.  Amy said she thought the curtains should be red and white checks to match the original red exterior of the trailer...Yikes!  I suggested something a little more guy-ish, like something to do with hunting or fly fishing or even plaid, Amy figured she could work within those parameters (her mother is the Queen of fabrics and sewing).
 
The window looks a bit naked without the curtains, but I'm not sure how smart it is to have curtains next to a gas stove top and a gas lamp in a trailer made of wood!?
 
Speaking of red, the original color for the trailer was red, as I mentioned  before and followed the same paint line as the blue does today.   I think red would look sharp and do the trailer justice, but I could also see it painted in yellow with a bird wing pattern down the side.  Again, I need to consult with an expert and see if it matters if you change the color and paint scheme.  This trailer has spent most of its life in La Pine, OR, where the family who bought it second hand in the 50's says it was always blue as long as they owned it.
 
Today my Dad also came by to look at the trailer for the first time.  I could tell he thought I was nuts, which I am, and have been for quite sometime.  I am a complete product of my parents, so I wasn't too shocked at his reaction.  His comment was "quick put it back on Craigslist and flip it" and I must admit I had to stop and think about that.  I have several other projects, including a tired old Packard, that could use my time, but the idea of learning something new and transforming this neat old trailer back to original condition has me in it's grips.

1 comment:

  1. Eric the Travel trailer nut! I say do the Eddie Bauer or L.L. Bean theme with the curtains... and throughout.

    ReplyDelete