Saturday, August 14, 2010

Day 12, It's Friday

Another Friday and this week has flown by. I must admit that I am one of those people who truly loves Friday, but I have stopped saying long ago that "I wish it was Friday".  An older friend once told me that when you wish for a day or time to get here, you are wishing your life away. I now try to live every day like it’s Friday and enjoy each moment. With the excitement of a trailer to restore I would love to have more time to work on it without the four letter word of "work" getting in the way, but I try every day to do something with the trailer.

Amy's texted fabirc sample for curtains.
Around mid morning, Amy texted pictures as she was shopping for fabric with her mother. She was not really overly excited about her choices, so she decided to keep looking. Her favorite of what she had to choose from, was something workable, but would definitely give the trailer a fishing theme and it might be too much. I think we can do better and perhaps come up with something that feels fifties and does not tie us to a theme.

I finished up with my FMCA duties at 5pm and was eager to get home.  I changed into shorts and a t-shirt in no time flat, but first I had to do the chicken run and they were very eager to be free to roam the yard. Finding one egg was nice, but the excitement of having two eggs the day before has spoiled me, so one just doesn’t cut it anymore. On a good note my friend Tracy and her friend Lorraine stopped by to see the chickens and the trailer and they all met with great approval!

Damaged metal lower right rear corner down low and the feet of
my cat Harris as he checks out the underside himself.
So with chickens freed and Tracy and Lorraine down the road, I grabbed a ladder and started scraping on the roof trim. I worked my way down to the back end of the wheel opening following the curve of the trailer. Once I got down low, I decided to take a look at the rotten board again, and a spot that looked like bondo. I decided to chip off the loose cracked bondo and reveal what was beneath. The trailer had obviously been backed into something or hit something and the damaged spot repaired. I’m either going to have to re-skin the back part of the trailer or place a kick plate over the damage. My guess is after hitting something they added the bumper. There is also a similar spot at the front of the trailer, but much smaller.

Rotten board and Cat Harris, catching a snooze
The wood beam under the back, as mentioned earlier, is definitely going to need replaced and perhaps I am a bit naïve, but I don’t think it will be that big of challenge. I really want to recondition the frame, so at some point I’m going to have to lift the trailer up and off. At that point I could easily replace any bad wood and remove the deteriorated beam. There is a lot to do on this little trailer!

I really hope to be able to meet with some trailer experts soon and get a recommendation on what to do first. For now I will continue to remove old, roof tar, putty, silicone and other kinds of sealer that may have been applied. So far nothing that I have seen has scared me away, so I guess that’s a good sign or just a sign that I am incredibly dense.

1942 Packard 120
As the sun started to sink low on the horizon I realized I needed to get a birthday card in the mail to my brother and I also needed a loaf of bread. This was the perfect excuse for me to fire up the old Packard and take it for an outing. With the temperature in the high 70’s, vintage tunes playing from the ipod, the Packard fired right up and I was off to the store and Post Office. These are the kind of night that I live for. There is nothing better than cruising down the road in a Packard on a warm summer night, Hmm, unless I was I pulling a trailer!

1 comment:

  1. Love it E! Oh and got the card today too... right on time!

    ReplyDelete