Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Day 17 Another Beautiful Day

Another beautiful day on the high desert and the temperature was in the high 80’s, which is idea for me. I like having warm summer days, that way you know you have had summer when fall comes around.

This morning I had a meeting in Bend, so on my drive in I had some time make a few phone calls about the trailer. I was eager to hear what the gentleman in Bend thought of the pictures I had sent and if he thought he could help. I have been a little reluctant to dive in and start taking the trailer appart until I had someone who knows what they are doing look at it.  I don't want to do anything that will harm the trailer, or waste a ton of my time in the process (unless I’m having fun).

The rounded egg layer
After my meeting I was able to come for lunch and enjoy a sandwich on the deck. I did my chicken recon, gave them some cracked corn and took a pointy egg from the nesting box, the Cornish was now starting to out lay the Wyandotte. On my walk back to the house, I took a good look at the lawn realize that tonight I had to mow! That fertilizer I put down weeks ago is really working well, too well.

The rest of the day went well, and my trainer cancelled my workout for the evening, so that freed up and extra 2 hours if I counted the drive time and hour workout. As soon as 5 o’clock rolled around I was out the door, but first needed to stop off at Tracy’s to reprogram her Rain Bird lawn timer. Talk about rocket science, geesh, we had to download the instructions from the internet to figure it out and now only time will tell if we did it right. Tracy should know by 5:30am tomorrow morning if the sprinklers come on. Tracy also had  made homemade banana ice cream over the weekend, so I was offered a dish and I’m not one to say no.

Almost done polishing above the windows, what a differance.
I was home by 5:45pm and did my usual quick change into shorts, let the chickens out, gathered a rounded egg from the nesting box, fed the cats and then realized that a lot of the corn in the garden had blown over in yesterdays little wind storm. I spent a little over a half hour staking up the corn and using twine to hold it upright so it could withstand stronger winds. I am not about to let a little wind keep me from enjoying corn this summer. I’m not sure if my Iowa farming Uncles would approve of my corn propping and tying up methods, but I know they works, because I did the same thing last year when the corn blew over.

Metal above ther front windows polished and looking pretty good.
It was now almost 7pm and I still wanted to work on the trailer, so I got out my ladders and SOS and scrubbed for about 45 minutes.  I was able to shine up most of the front roof above the windows and thought that it is really starting to look pretty good. I knew I had to mow the lawn before it got too dark, so I cleaned up my mess and had to settle for just a few minutes of trailer time today.  Oh well, I guess every little bit  helps.

I mowed the lawn in a little less than 48 minutes and luckily my John Deere has headlights, because it was dark as I finished mowing the last few sections of lawn. I emptied the double bags twice, so it had needed to be mowed.  I put some of the lawn clippings into the chicken pen for them chickens to eat, and I then dumped the rest out back for the horses. I have to scatter the lawn clippings out very thin, so the horses can’t gulp it down and plug themselves up, but boy, do they love to hear the mower coming.

With the lawn done it was time to clean up, I took my shower to get the lawn dust and grime off me and I then fired up the computer to check emails. I was very excited to see that I had an email from the trailer guy in Bend. He was very confident in being able to help me as he does this kind of work all the time. He really liked the trailers shape and is interested to know what I want to do with it. The most exciting part is that tomorrow he is coming to Redmond to look at a trailer that has to be  very close to where I live. I fired off an email and hope he reads it before he comes to town, as I would love to show him the trailer and get his thoughts (I will call first thing and see if I can catch him before he leaves).

It was another beautiful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment