Monday, August 16, 2010

End of week 2

All the paint removed.
I can’t believe it has been two full weeks since I pulled the Traveleze home. Today, I am pleased to say that Doug and I were able to remove the last of the paint from the trailer. It has taken a little over 2 gallons of paint stripper, 4 pairs of gloves, half a gallon of Goof Off, a bag of steel wool, two putty knifes and a box of SOS soap pads to remove all the paint.There will still need to be a little more cleanup work before this part of the project is complete and there will need to be a lot of polishing done.  Without Doug I would still be working on stripping paint and this would have become a 2 weekend event.  A good friend is invaluable.


Paint removed original stripes show, there is also lots of bondo
and the lower skin, both front and rear may have to be replaced.
I think the most exciting part of the day was to remove the old paint and reveal the original paint scheme on the front of the trailer.   If you look at the picture you can see where the metal shines where the original dark green stripes were.  I think I will recreate the pattern when it comes time to repaint the trailer, and paint the lower portions of the trailer as well. Doug and I also discovered that they had scuffed up the metal sides as a preperation to apply the last paint job.  Most of the scuffed metal will be recovered with paint when I repaint the trailer and what is expossed I think will be polish up.

Doug and I worked about 5 hours today and the combined time on stripping the trailer is about 11 hours, so it really wasn’t that bad. The worst part, was having to wear gloves that made your hands sweat, or the little splatters of stripper that landed on your arm or leg and burned like a fire ant bite or a bee sting. Also, it was nice to have someone to talk too, or this project could have been a bit tedious.  One thing for sure is it just feels so good to have that that project behind me.

The first dozen eggs!
As for the chickens, they had not laid any eggs at noon when I let them out to roam the yard for the day. They spent the afternoon digging up bugs and running wild, they even ventured out into the front yard and around the pond. The chicks were feeling adventurous too and were all over the yard. I think it was close to 5 o'clock when Doug went to check the coop to see if there were any eggs and surprisingly there were 2! I now have the first dozen and I feel an omelet is in order. I texted Amy and others and Amy wanted to know what we were going to do with them. I said make an omelet when she returned home. She thought that sounded great and suggested ham and cheese.  Aah a beautiful ham and cheese omelet, my favorite!

I was looking forward to tomorrow when we could all get together and share this special occasion.  This was another great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment