Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Day 8 and a new week as begun

Today for work I made a couple visits to the Deschutes County Fair and Expo Center where the Family Motor Coach Association  (FMCA) was busy ramping up for their 84th annual convention. The RV's had already started to park row after row and it is truly spectacular to see how far the RV industry has come since the time my little 1950 canned ham was manufactured.  Coaches by Prevost, Monaco, Country Coach and of course Winnebago, to name a few, were everywhere.   Coaches with single, double and triple slide-outs are the "norm", and they expand the living space beyond what was imaginable in 1950. The opulence is really something and thoughts of rolling sculptures and Veva Las Vegas comes to mind when you see some of these traveling palaces.  They truly are for the high rollers who can afford to own such masterpieces.  The estimated attendance of the FMCA Rally is scheduled for about 2,000 to 2,200 coaches, so a sizable number of RV's. This is their 4th visit to Redmond so we have become very well equipped to handle them and they are great to work with. As I looked at these amazing RV's it made me wonder what will happen to these beauties when they are 60 years old like my Traveleze.  Will they survive and will someone be blogging about their attempt to restore one?

Monday and Wednesday's are the days I take off a bit early and go with mother to the gym and workout with a trainer.  Although my mother is a little older, it's amazing how the trainer can make us both sweat and breath equally hard.  We are both making amazing progress, my long downward spiral with Asthma this last winter has kicked my butt and my working to build up cardio capacity has been my challenge.

Teardrops and Tiny Trailers
Today, after working out, we swung by Barnes and Noble, because a book I had ordered was in and I wanted to pick it up.  The book store was on our way home and my Mom was interested to see it as well.  With me driving she knew it would give her a chance to look at it first.  We got to the store quickly and I ran in to get it.  Luckily there was no one waiting at the counter, so I said I was there to pick up a book that I had ordered and soon he handed it to me.  There it was the book I had been waiting for, "Teardrops and Tiny Trailers" by Douglas Heister, ahh it was beautiful! It was like getting a gift at Christmas, and not just any gift,it was the gift!

Ya gotta love a Canned Ham!
I went back to the car where my Mother was waiting and I handed it to her.   She said "very nice" and immediately began to thumb through the pages.  It was hard to drive and not stare at the pictures, but as she turned each pages I glanced over and we both went wow!  Teardrops, Silver Gems, Glass Houses and my favorites the Canned Hams.  My Mom said she could easily see how I could become addicted to these trailers.  They are amazing, beautiful, classic and just plain fun.  Seeing these spectacular little beauties on the glossy pages of the book made me want to rush home even more and get to work.

I had a couple of errands to run before heading home and weather was looking as if it could be turning a little stormy and even rain.  I was wondering if I needed to cover the trailer, or even try to back it in under carport behind the barn, but I decided that it really wouldn't hurt it and if it did, I was about to pull it all apart anyway. 

7 chickens on the loose
When I got home I had to check on the chickens and let them out to run around the yard and of course look for eggs.  I was a little bummed then I look saw that there weren't any eggs, but I guess the little hen deserved a day off after three in a row.  As I watched the chickens run around the yard I noticed a weed, a very tall weed, in the flower bed, and then another and another.  I realized I was letting my yard slip, and I was spending my time on the trailer instead of tending to my usual yard schedule.  I decided I needed to do some power weeding before I started on the trailer.

The chickens seemed to be intrigued by what I was pulling up and what might be in the loose soil.  I was a little amazed at how many weeds, needles and branches needed to be picked up and raked.  There were branches everywhere under the Aspen (miserable tree by the way) and leaves in the gravel path.  My power weeding turned into 2 hours and 4 wheelbarrows full of weeds and debris.  Every time I do weeding I feel the need to run the mower over the areas where I raked my piles onto the lawn, so fired up the old John Deere and mowed around the edges.  I was shocked to see how much the lawn had grown since Friday when I cut it last.  Of course I had just fertilized the week before and with the warm days it was growing and fast.  I ended up mowing the entire lawn again and had to empty the double bags twice.  By this time it was getting dark and I had a book to read.

I went in to wash up, had a bite to eat and lay down on the couch with my book. I was a happy guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment