Friday, August 6, 2010

Day 4, A visit to an "Expert" and a Phone Call

I managed to leave work 3 hours early today and with the help of Doug, we took the trailer on a short road trip to Bend.  I wanted to meet with a trailer expert and this guy said he could do anything I needed.  Since I still don't have functional trailer lights, and yes I know I could get a magnetic set, I had Doug follow me the short distance South to Bend.  When I arrived at the guys shop he was out front and waved me in.  I could tell by the look on his face this was not what he expected.  He gave the trailer a look over and his cabinet man came out to take a close look too. They looked inside and walked all the way around and to make this long story short, his shop rate was $95 an hour and said it could  easily be $15,000 to start and as high as $50,000, depending on what I want done.  Not to be rude, I knew this guy wasn't interested or he didn't understand vintage trailers.  For $50K I could have one built from scratch...maybe even two.  Oh well, it's all part of the process and I was ready to go home. So with a thank you, and a feeling of disappointment, I was back on the road home with Doug following close behind.

1954 Anderson
It was now almost 5 o'clock, Thursday evening, (or cocktail hour as my folks always say) on August 5, and I still wanted to talk to someone who might be able to convince me that I had not made a huge colossal mistake in buying this trailer.  I made a phone call to the shop in Prineville that I had talked to the day before and placed a call to a shop in Bend, who I knew is a Master at trailer restoration based on seeing his amazing 1954 Anderson.  I had to leave messages with both, but very shortly I received a phone call from the Michael Angelo of trailer restoration.  He knew exactly what I was looking to accomplish, create a beautiful trailer, not flawless, but one that shines and is clean, while being true to it's age.  I told him his Anderson was absolutely fantastic.  He wanted to see pictures of my 50, so I told him of my blog, to give him an idea of what I had.  He said he would take a look and give me a call.  I just felt better knowing that I might have some help and direction.  I look forward to visiting with him and getting some direction and ideas of how to move the restoration forward.

Doug and the back window of the Traveleze
Feeling better after my brief conversation and with the trailer back in its spot in the driveway underneath the branches of the Honey Locus tree, Doug and I started tinkering with the trailer.  Doug attacked the back window that had been glued shut and then slathered with gallons of silicone.  It covered over the glass by several inches and well onto the sides of the trailer.  Doug and I couldn't help but laugh imagining the previous owner who got the trailer from his aging father, saying "Dad, what did you do to the back window?" and the the ol' guy saying "I fixed that (insert explicative) leak!"  He didn't stop with just the back window either.  The entire trailer is covered from stem to stern in silicone, top to bottom and side to side.  We shall see if Doug comes back for more scrapping.

Doug also took off one of the glass rear side marker lights and I became fascinated with the metal trim ring which held the glass lens in place.  I used some paint remover to strip the brushed on paint that covered it and then used some metal polish to buff the metal back to a chrome like shine.  Once complete I went to the other side and did the same.  By this time Doug and I both were getting a little hungry, so we stopped, and I made an awesome dinner from leftovers, ok, well not so awesome, but it was filling anyway.  Dinner was downed in a matter of minutes and we went back to work.  Doug went back to prying the glue and silicone from the back window and he shortly had the window opening again.

It was about this time we heard a car come pull into the gravel part of the drive and it was my folks.  My parents had been out to dinner and my Dad, still chuckling from his last visit to the trailer, asked my mother if she had seen it yet.  She hadn't and this was the reason for the visit.  I love my folks and I knew my Mom would see the true inner beauty of the trailer, which she did.  She thought it was great and I know she will be the first one to want to go camping with me when it's done.  She mentioned having a party , which got me thinking, just how many people can one fit into a 16' trailer?  Meanwhile, Dad still had that "you're nuts" look in his eye. My parents have never been anything but supportive of my crazy behavior, from the time I bought the 51 Buick covered in moss for $500 while in High School to my current old Packard.  My fascination with things that are old and smell funny started long ago and my folks have grown quite accustom to it.  Their visit was short and with a kiss to my Mom and a bump on the elbow to my Pop they were gone.

Traveleze Trailer Co. Burbank Calf
My next little project was to polish up the Traveleze plaque that is located next to the door handle.  I removed the four screws and once again took some paint remover to remove the brushed on paint.  The paint bubbled quickly and with the help of an old sock and some metal polish the old badge started to shine and proudly announce the trailers name, place of birth and serial number.   This was exactly the kind of patina and a restoration that I was talking about, one that is true to its age.  The plaque is not new, but it shines and wears its age well.  I reattached the plaque, knowing it will have to be removed when we work on the sides, but for now it is back in place and not lost (I know with a little more work it will really shine up well).  I also realize during this process that I no longer have my wire wheel brush attached to my grinder.  There is nothing like taking old bolts and nuts to a wire wheel brush and removing all the old tarnish and scratches in seconds, its pure and immediate gratification.

That was about it for today's adventures.  I did join the chat rooms of Tin Can Tourist (I need to join the club too) and Vintage Trailer Enthusiasts.  I look forward to chatting with other trailer addicted people like me and sharing my adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment