Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day 23, Life's to short to live with dirty windows

Today was much warmer than yesterday, but I still think the morning was around 39, with the day warming up to the mid 80’s, which was awesome! The thought of winter coming just makes me shiver.

My day was pretty normal and I came home for lunch around 1:30pm and checked on the chickens, nothing. I looked thoroughly through out the coop and there were no eggs.  My search made me realize that I desperately needed to clean out the coop, and I'm sure by the time I got home tonight, there would be eggs.

The rest of the afternoon went very quickly and before I knew it, it was time to go home. The temperature was absolutely perfect and I was looking forward to working on the trailer. I changed clothes and then checked on the chickens. Nothing! No eggs! What the heck, the old saying of “An egg a day or heads will stray” came to mind; perhaps Amy was right, and I should paint that saying on the inside of the coop for the chickens to look at everyday.  How disappointing to have nothing, after two days in a row of 3 eggs.

42 Packard pulling a trailer, now that
would be fun.
A Rolls Royce pulling a trailer?

For some reason I started thinking about what car I might want to pull the trailer with. Of course the truck is the natural choice, it was designed to tow, with a transmission cooler, trailer brakes and the tow package etc, but for some reason it doesn’t seem all that exciting. There is the 42 Packard 120 convertible, but with its low horse power straight eight it might be a bit much for the poor old girl, but nothing would be more fun. Hmm, or do I need a little more refinement with the hand built elegance and sophistication of a Rolls Royce Silver Spur II. My neighbors from my childhood home had a 1960 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud II that they pulled a trailer with. They had the trailer painted to match the silver and black paint scheme, now that's living. Maybe I can recreate that experience. Rolls and Canned Ham, now that sounds like a lunch choice or an hors d'oeuvre . There is always the classic 60’s styling of our family’s 1969 Chevelle Malibu convertible. This car screams Brady Bunch, so maybe it’s too 60’s to pull a 1950 trailer.

What I really need is a 1949 to 1953, Buick, Cadillac, Olds, Pontiac, hum or Hudson or Nash. There really isn’t a car out there I don’t like.


1969 Chevelle pulling the Traveleze
Enough dreaming, I wanted to scrub up the windows a little bit more. I also wanted to scrub on the side of the trailer and see if some of the scuffed areas were going to buff out. I spent probably 40 minutes working on the two windows on the left side of the trailer. They shined up really well and with very little effort. I used some special metal polish that I had and applied the polish sealer, so I’ll see if it works and if it keeps the metal from water spotting and tarnishing again. I really need to figure out how to remove the glass window frames, so I can really scrub all the way around the window. That might be a project for this weekend.

Grimy window frame
Shinny window frame
I worked on the windows until I couldn’t do much more without dismantling them. Now I was ready to work on the side of the trailer. I think when they painted the trailer last, they ruffed up the surface in order to get the paint to stick. I was concerned that this will not buff out and I would be forced to repaint the entire lower half of the trailer. I’m not opposed to painting the lower half, but after seeing just the three stripes on the 1954 Traveleze in the book Silver Palaces, I think that might be the way to go. Anyway I started scrubbing with just an SOS and it did buff away the scuff marks, but it was going to take a lot of effort. I then wondered if I could just place an SOS under the buffer and see if that would work. I got out the buffer and a few SOS pads and placed them under the buffing pad and then pressed it against the trailer. I pushed the on button and gently moved it over the scuffed up panel. After a few minutes I stopped and washed the tarnish off.  I was surprised to see that, it worked!  I think with a good afternoon I will be able to shine up the entire trailer.   This is going to be much quicker than doing it all by hand.

Clean chicken coop, with fresh hay.
It was now around 7:20pm and I really needed to clean the coop and mow the lawn. The coop was pretty bad, but cleaned up quickly and I dumped the chicken poo on the corn and pumpkins, so we shall see if it is good fertilizer or not. I jumped on the mower and in an hour I was done. It was now dark and I had finished mowing using the headlights on the mower.

With a good shower I was done for the day. Tomorrow is Wednesday, which is my workout day with my Mom and the second to the last concert in the park, so it will be after 8pm when I get home tomorrow.  I probably won’t have any time with the trailer, how sad is that.  Luckily I’m taking Thursday and Friday off, so I will have ample time to make up for lost trailer time.

No comments:

Post a Comment