Monday, August 30, 2010

Day 28, One month with the trailer.

What could be a better way to start the day, than going to breakfast with your parents at the Original Pancake House? My Mom called around 8:45am to see if I wanted to go to breakfast with them and I said sure. The bacon, eggs and pancakes were awesome and didn't take long to consume.  With full stomachs we were soon heading back to my home.
 
The day I brought the trailer home.
I told my parents they need to see the chickens “fly the coop”. So I took them out by the chickens so they could see the event. I open the door to the coop and in a flurry of feathers they bolted from their confinement. My parents thought it was hilarious. They dang near trample one another to get out to freedom.

I had just enough time to change before going to church and the chickens were going be on their own for an hour, until I would be home to work on the trailer and could keep an eye on them.

A month later.
Trailer time included scrubbing the roof and working on the right side, around the windows, main door and small storage door. The roof was not that difficult to clean up, other than you can’t stand or really sit on the roof, so I had to reach way out, while standing on a ladder. It is really quite a workout to stretch that far, while your hands are slippery with SOS soap scum, you can definitely feel your core muscles engage to keep your balance. It was really an effort to try and not slide off the roof, with both hands slippery on the buffer and leaning way over a wet curved sloping roof.

Doug came by to help late in the afternoon and went to work on the lower storage door. He removed the drip rail above the door and got it un-crusted from the layers of paint stripper it had collected when we were stripped the sides above it. The right side of the trailer seemed to be a lot harder to get clean. It has this layer of what feels like a paint primer that does not want to come off very easily. It took a lot of effort, but by sunset I had finished about 2/3rds of the right side. It is going to take another day or two to finish the side and the two windows. I also still need to finish the front window, which is going to be a challenge, since the windows no longer open. I think they have been glued shut and I will need to remove each one carefully and then reseal them, until I can find the hardware to make them open again.

Cleaning the right side as it starts to get dark.
It was a long tedious day of scrubbing on the trailer, but week four was now coming to a close.  It is hard to believe that the month of August is almost over and that I brought it home on August 2, 2010.  I still see a lot of work that needs to be done on the outside, but when I look at the photo from the first day, I remember just how far the trailer has come.  I would imagine in another month it will look even better.  I'm hoping October might be the month I am able to get the trailer professional help and perhaps start on the interior.  I will be very happy to get this scrubbing the exterior part done and have all of the old paint and grime removed.

Little by little progress is being made and she has come a long way since the day I pulled her home.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a transformation on the exterior.

    So I know you posted the steps for shining the outside but can you re-post step by step and also mention the equipment you are using. We are just starting to polish our little Frolic and man it's taking a lot of elbow grease.

    Do you get the SOS pads wet?

    Thanks,
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete