Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Day 9, Not a lot to report

Day 9, Slow progress.

Today was pretty much all work and no play and when I mean no play, I mean no time with the trailer. I was out at the Expo meeting with FMCA members, which was a fun way to spend the day. I can talk to no end about how great Oregon is and there is so much to do in Central Oregon, that I pretty much talked non stop.  One of my favorite spots to point out in Central Oregon, is the Camp Sherman/Metolius area.  It is about as close to a picturesque 1930's-1940's vacation spot as you can get.  Time literally seems to stand still there and it is exactly as I remember it, as when I first visited in the mid 70's. The amazement of looking at the head waters of the Metolius river as the spring fed river appears before you is awe inspiring.  Vintage cabins welcome summer vacationers as they have for decades and the general store still sells ice cream just across the bridge as it did when I was a kid.   I must have eaten at least 50 ice cream bars on the banks of the Metolius and I would catch salmon flies tossing them at the water, just to see the trout jump up and eat them.  FMCA guests were easily convinced that this is a must see destination and this is where I see pulling the Traveleze on its first voyage as a restored trailer.

Many of the FMCA members had gone to the Monday night entertainment, which was the showing of the Long Long Trailer, with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. Vintage trailers came up several times during the day and of course I had to join in the conversation, and yes show them my book on Teardrops and Tiny Trailers. Many spent several moments turning the pages and commenting on the simplicity and design. When I told them about my project they all wished me luck, Hmm, where they trying to tell me something or where they being sincere? I’ll go for sincere.

During the day, Amy texted me that one of her contacts from work had a husband who specialized in RV structural repair and would be happy to assist in the trailer project. Amy sent me his number and it was arranged for me to call him. With the day being so busy with FMCA I didn’t have time to call, and planned on calling in the early evening. When I went to call, I realized that I had inadvertently deleted the number and Amy only had it at work, so I was not going to be able to call until tomorrow.

4 new eggs
I made it home around 6:00pm and went to let the chickens out. They were very excited to see me and they bolted for their freedom. I checked for eggs and today we had another pink egg.

With the chickens out foraging in the yard, I too was hungry and I got ready to head out to dinner. I had been invited to have dinner with Doug and Amy and their son Alex, and since I had a gift certificate to a local favorite restaurant, I was buying.

Dinner was excellent and as we were finishing up I received a phone call from FMCA and needed to head back to the office to help address the issue.

I got home around 8pm and I didn’t have a lot of time to start working on the trailer so I thought I would video the trailer in its current condition. I pulled out my Olympus, turned the setting to video mode and shot a short clip from the back around to the front and inside. Steven Spielberg I am not, but the clip gives an idea of what I have to work with and how much needs to done. The photo quality and lighting is horrible but it's just a sample.


No comments:

Post a Comment