Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Day 733, Looking at a bank owned home.

Over the weekend I had spotted a house that I have long admired was for sale and bank owned.  I was shocked to discover that it was over 4,500 square feet, as it doesn't look that large from the street.  At one point the house had sold for over $1.275 million and now was being listed at $550,000.  The house was built in 2002 has a 1,600 square foot barn and sits on 10 acres on the Deschutes river.  It is an awesome property.  A single guy doesn't need a 4,500 sq ft house but I had to see it.

Big living room
I arranged with a realtor to look at the house with my folks who were also intrigued and wanted to see the house.  The house is stunning from the outside and perfectly situated on the property.  The design is lodge like and has a great feel about it.  I was however a little disappointed when I got inside.  It was nice, but nothing spectacular.  There was nothing that was special, it was just large.  In 4,500 sq ft there was only three bedrooms, so where did all the space go.  Upstairs was a maze of spaces and a large family room, with really bad carpet that need to be re-stretched.  The entire house smelled like a wet dog, but I could over look that.  I was just so uninspired I couldn't see spending the money even if it was a really good deal.  I was bummed, but someone will get a nice house on a great piece of property.

On the way home I took the realtor past a home that I have been curious about.  It looks like it might be in distress and she pulled up the records on it and indeed the owners have been having troubles with the mortgage.  The house is not listed, but my realtor was willing to call them and say she had a client who is interested in the house.  The house if 2,400 sq ft with additional living quarters above a detached garage.  I'd like to see the property to see if it is anything that might be worth a move.

No comments:

Post a Comment