Saturday, January 8, 2011

Day 159, The weekend

Waking up to sunshine is an awesome feeling, especially when you wake up totally refreshed.  I was up and out of bed and had laundry going by 8am.  By 9am I had the house picked up and was ready to head outside.  With all the sunshine, I wanted to get the truck washed.  In Central Oregon, they cover the roads with magnesium chloride to keep the roads from freezing, and while this is great for anti-ice, it is murder on chrome.  The chrome wheels on my truck take a beating during the winter and the only way to keep the magnesium from eating the chrome is to wash them frequently - today was my chance.

While it looked nice and sunny outside, the fact was, it was only 29 degrees.  I was able to wash the truck and scrub the wheels, but the truck started to ice up when I went to dry it.  My hands were freezing, so I worked fast and moved onto my next project.

My weekly chore of cleaning of cleaning the chicken coop was next.  I figured with the sun being out and me being home, it would be a great day to let the chickens out.  The moment I opened the door, the chickens flew the coop.  I had to move the Buff Orpington out of the nesting box and off the two eggs that were there.  She seemed very interested in what I was doing and when I finished putting in the fresh shredded newspaper she was right there to jump in.  She was ready to lay an egg.   By the end of the day I would remove 5 eggs.

Hall cabinet

The rest of the day was spent running errands, including delivering 2 dozen eggs to friends, via the Packard.  I drove the Packard all over, including to the Post Office store and into Bend.  I wanted to checkout REI and look at their winter hats.  REI has the best selection of funky winter hats.  There were several that I thought would be fun to give to my niece and nephew, but I decided to hold off.  I did however find a great wool and sherpa blanket that would be great in the trailer and at 50% off, it needed to come home with me. 

After REI I went to Costco and I stocked up on a few supplies.  They also had a hall cabinet that could work in my back hall.  I snapped a picture to send to my mother to get her expert opinion and to see what she thinks.  I have been looking for something that is not too deep, yet wide enough to fill the space in the back hall.  This might fit the bill, if it hold up to my mothers discerning eye.

It was now approaching 4:30pm and the sun was sinking low, it was time to get the old Packard back home before dark.  There is something about driving an old car through the country side that is thrilling, peaceful and of course nostalgic.   The Andrew Sisters, Bing Crosby, Margaret Whiting and the like were playing on the radio via my ipod, it was a classic experience.

Once back home and with the car unpacked it was time to check on the chickens.  There were all gathered at the pen and ready to closed in for the night.  It was starting to get really cold, so I was ready to be in too.

No comments:

Post a Comment