Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 173, Black Ice

I woke up feeling pretty good and was trying to figure out how to get all that I needed to get done and go see my Robin in Portland.  I had been invited to have dinner with her and her sisters family Saturday night, but I have to be in church on Sunday morning to be welcomed as a new member.  Robin was going to be in Sublimity visiting her 94 year old aunt for lunch, so figured I could do lunch there and save an hour each way instead of going dinner in Portland.  I really don't like driving in the dark any more and going over the pass in the winter really isn't my idea of a good time.

Dang sign got in my way of the Sister's mountains

I left the house at 9am and the roads were clear the sky was crisp and blue.  The roads were great all the way to the mountain and then I noticed that the truck felt a bit unsure.  I slowed way down and a couple times around 45 mph the truck broke lose and started to slide.  There was black ice everywhere.    I had a white Hummer come flying up behind me and pass me, not more than a few seconds later he began to slide and immediately slowed way down.   I couldn't help but think how lucky he was to have regained control and not have gotten hurt.  With the ice everywhere it made for a bit of a stressful journey.  Once I was out of the mountains it was smooth driving.

Sublimity is tiny little town 15 miles west of Salem in the rolling farm land of the Willamette Valley and is about as picturesque as they come.   Robin's Aunt, her mom, sister and here kids were all going to go to lunch at the Wooden Nickle, a small local hang out with amazing food.  I had a Big Eddie Burger and it covered the plate, it was huge.  Everyone had way to much to eat, but we enjoyed each others company and getting to know what was happening with everyone.  After about an hour and half  it was time for me to say good bye and head back over the mountain. 

The drive home was much less stressful, but there was still areas of ice, but the sanding trucks had done a great job of covering the slick spots.  Of course with fresh gravel down, you can't help but flinch every you hear that sound of rock smacking the windshield.   My truck was filthy and desperately in deed of bath.

I got home late afternoon and was ready for a nap.  I had been invited to friends to watch the Blazer game and to play Wii.  I'm not much of a Wii player but figured it would be fun.  The Blazer's won and I lost at Wii, but I did have fun and ended staying until 12:30am!

No comments:

Post a Comment