Sunday, October 3, 2010

Day 62, Saturday and working the 40 acres

Saturday was a continuation of the same beautiful weather that we have had all week.  I woke up nice and slow and watched the quail jump out the spruce to start their day.  Quail make the neatest sound and I swear they are saying "look right there, look right there" as if they are warning each other of danger.  Danger in this case would be named Harris, as in my cat, who makes it a habit to sit and wait for any misguided quail, who forgot to "look right there".  The sun was just coming up and the lawn was fresh with dew.

I got up and did my usual weekend chores and of course let the chickens out.  They were thrilled to be out so early.


Old fence line needing to come out.
My parents have just acquired the 40 acres across the street from me last week and my father wanted to close up some of the holes in the fencing and re-mark the corner pins with large metal stakes.  There was also an old fence line that needed to be removed and if I could get the metal post out of the ground, they would be perfect for marking the corners.  In all there were about 18 fence post and I was able to get all of them out, except for one.  I also had to cut loose 5 rows of barbed wire that ran about 300'.  My father was going to come over and help mark the corners, and if I wasn't able to get the post out, he was going to run into town to buy new ones.  I told him I had been successful and would go to my office to get the fence post driver to set the new posts and I needed to stop by the Vets.

Last week I had taken my 15 year old gray cat to the Vet to see why he was losing so much weight.  At his peak he was 20 lbs and now he is 9 lbs.  The Vet ran some test and it turned out he has Inflammatory Bowel Disease, great!  Anyway, I needed to stop and pick up his medication and we shall see if really is the problem and if we can beef him back up.  If not I'm going kitten shopping!

With the fence post driver and medication in hand my errands were done and my Dad and I could set the new corner post.  We walked the entire property which is almost exactly 1 mile.  The temperature was around 90, so by the time we got done, we were parched.  We also rolled up 5 nice roles of old barbed wire.  When that was done we wanted to post a sign on the gate that we  had closed and instead of walking we took my Dads car.  There is something somewhat amusing about driving a Cadillac through a dried up field and when we were done, the car was covered in dirt.  We quickly washed and cleaned the car at my house, so Dad could drive it home without getting in trouble.

I didn't spend anytime with the trailer today.  After working on the 40 acres and washing the car, I still needed to mow my lawn and clean out the chicken coop.  After that was done my folks were going to take me out to dinner, and again, food is a great way to reward hard work at the end of the day.

It was a beautiful day and I was exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment