Sunday, October 31, 2010

Day 90, Saturday and it's almost Halloween

Burning branches and pine needles
Saturday morning was gray and wet and the perfect kind of morning to stay in bed.  It was also the perfect time for me to read my 12 pages from the "Read the Bible in 90 Days" and to do some laundry.  On the Bible front I'm more than half way through and on day 49.  It takes me about an hour to read the 12 pages.  Once done my reading I did the rest of my usual morning chores and I had almost everything done by noon.

 
Getting a little help with the raking from a friend.
The weather started to hold clear at least is wasn't raining.  I went out and let the chickens out and started doing some yard work.  I also had a large pile of branches that I had been building up in the back pasture throughout the summer and today would be a good day to burn it.  With the large pile of pine needles it lite very quickly and with in an hour it was just a mound of smoldering embers.  With a stir with a shovel it would burst into flames again.  I was able to rake up the back pasture and burn a ton of tumbles weeds.  I couldn't help but look at the Traveleze safe and dry under the carport behind the barn.  One of the horses would not leave me alone and wanted to help and when I put the rake down he picked it up and started to rake the ground.  He quickly learned that it wasn't much fun and he put it down.
 
I think the pumpkin ate too much candy.
Skeleton on the old broken
juniper tree.
In preparation for Halloween, I worked to get everything ready.  I had to re-wire the lantern for the witch, place the vomiting pumpkin at the mail box and hang the skeleton on the broken Juniper tree.  I'm not really sure why I go to all the trouble, no one ever comes the house.  Actually I do it because I enjoy and it's what you do with the season.



  
 
Witch and lantern
The chickens had been out all day and they seemed to really be enjoying them selves.  I had four bags of pumpkin guts on the back and I was interested to see if they would eat it.  I dumped a bag in the pen and sure enough they thought it was pretty tasty and hey ate up.


It turned out to be an ok day, weather wise,  and it had the look and feel of fall.  I had spent the day working in the yard and I loved it.  It was now time to go in for the night.  It was a great night. 








No comments:

Post a Comment