Monday, October 11, 2010

Day 70, I've had the Traveleze 10 weeks

It's hard to believe that I have had the trailer 10 weeks.  I haven't spent much time with it lately and winter is fast approaching. 

I slept much better last night with little interruption and I woke up at 7am feeling pretty good. This was a good time to get my 12 pages read before going to Church, so I stayed in bed and read.

Hmm, is sin to take a picture in church?

Church was at eleven and even the Pastor admitted that reading the Bible in 90 days can be a challenge.  Staying focused through the repetition of the Old Testament.  That made me feel a little better, knowing that it wasn't just me.  I tell you I have had to read more than one page twice because I zoned out and didn't know where I was.

After church the first thing I needed to do was bake a cake for my fathers birthday.  I haven't baked a cake in probably 5 years so this was going to be interesting.  This wasn't just any ordinary cake either.  It was my grandmother apple spice cake this brown sugar frosting, which I should have made several days ago.  This a cake that has to age and it actually is at its best when it is about a week old.  In order to make this cake I had to make home made applesauce.  So with a few apples from my trees and a few from the store I was all set and in about an hour a half I had a cake cooling on the counter.  It didn't look to bad for being as rusty as I was, but would it taste ok?  I guess we would find out after dinner.

Corn stalks at the end of the driveway.

I spent the rest of afternoon working in the garden, cutting down corn stalks and harvesting the pumpkins.  I pulled off several small ears of corn that never quite matured and fed them to the chickens.  They love corn and will peck the cob clean in no time.  Once I had the corn stalks cut down, I loaded them in the back of the pickup and took them to he end of the driveway where I placed them into two bunches flanking the entrance to the driveway.   With a few pumpkins placed strategically at the base of each bunch I was pretty much done.  The only thing I needed to do was mix up a batch of Deer Away and pour it over the pumpkins and corn stalks to keep the deer from eating them.  The stuff smells nasty, kind of like rotten eggs and fish.

We gathered at my folks house for birthday dinner and the cake turned pretty good.  It definitely needs to age and if there is any left by Wednesday it should be perfect.

There was no time for the trailer this weekend which is starting to get pretty sad.  I'm going to back it into the shop this next weekend and continue to see if I get someone to work on it.  My schedule is crazy and I want to see this project finished in time for next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment