Saturday, October 9, 2010

Day 69, Wow, what a night

After going to bed at 12am, I was ready to sleep like a baby with the windows open and the feel and smell of fresh clean sheets, what could be better. 

At 4am I awoke to the sound of what I thought was a cell phone going off in the living room and the room lit up with a soft glow of a light.  I figure my friend Bruce had left his cell phone here, so I got up to check, but when I got up to look, I couldn't find anything.  I know I saw the room light up and that I heard the beeping of what I thought was cell phone, but there was nothing there.  I then had this realization, that could someone have been in my house?  A brief moment of "hmm, should I be nervous" came over me.  I then I looked in the kitchen and the dishwasher was lit up, meaning it had been opened and shut.  Now I really had a moment of "HMMM, is there someone in here"?  I thought I should go back to my bed room and put on my glasses. I then realized that the alarm clock was flashing, as if the power had gone off, so I then figured the power had flickered and the dishwasher reset itself.  I figured it must have made a noise like a cell phone.  It was then that the motion-detector lights came on in the back yard.  I then saw a flash of light on the spruce tree in the back yard and the power went out.  Needless to say, it was a bit too much to process at once, so I just got back in bed to think about what was going on.  At that moment my cat Harris jumped up on the bed and faced the window.  He then started to growl, so there was something outside, I just didn't know what.  I convinced myself it was a deer and tried not to think about it.  Not more than 5 minutes later my other cat came to the window (he was outside) and he had a live gopher (I could hear it squeaking).  My cat was meowing with a mouthful of gopher to get my attention.  There is a cat door in the window next to the bed and he was starting to come in with the gopher, before I knocked him back out the window.  He was so proud of his catch and since he knew I knew he had caught it, he ate it outside my window "crunch, crunch, crunch".  Yuck!
Deer eating on the plants in the yard.

My wonderful night sleep never came to be.  I was so tired and there was very little chance of me going back to sleep and waking up refreshed.  I did fall back to sleep and I ended up getting up at 8am, I was so beat!  I laid in bed and read my 12 pages that I missed from the night before.

Around 9am I was still without power, so I called the power company and as it turned out, someone lost control of their car and took a power pole across the field from my house, so the flash I saw in the back yard must have been the transformer blowing up.  It took the power company 8 hours to replace the  pole and to restore power.  When you live in the country it means you have a well, and without power the pump doesn't work, so I had no water.  It's amazing how much we take for granted, like electricity and water for instance.
Trailer and leaves.

The rest of the day would consist of getting the oil changed in my truck, some shopping, yard work and then at 5pm picking up my parents at the airport.  They had just returned from Iowa, where my mother sold her farm that had been in the family since 1965, the year I was born.  We had diner and then I came home  to blog, read and to go to bed. 

 I didn't have any time for the trailer today.  The day started off with light rain and with all my running around nothing got done.  I really need to make some phone calls tomorrow to see if anyone can help me with the restoration.  If not I need to back it into the shop and keep it dry and warm for the winter.

Oh, and the chickens spent the day out in the yard and laid 3 eggs..

I so hope tonight I sleep like a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment