Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Day 86, Tuesday and off to another conference.

By morning the little snow storm that we had Monday night had just left a trace of snow over the yard.  Today I will be traveling over the mountain pass, which is an elevation of about 5,800 feet.  The road report was saying they had received 26 inches of snow and chains were required on all vehicles under 10,000 lbs.  I was planning on leaving around 9am, so hopefully by then they will have the road plowed and traveling won't require chains.

Over the Santiam Pass, Hwy, 20/126
On the way over the mountain, I head west on Hwy 126 and pass through the city of Sisters which has a Les Schwab Tire Center and I figured I better buy a new set of tire chains for the truck.  I was in and out in 5 minutes, and ready for any bad roads that might be ahead.  Within 15 minutes I was climbing up the mountain and the roads were slushy and then snow packed.  The roads had been plowed and I was watching the cars and trucks come down the mountain and it was a mix of about 50% having chains on, so I put the truck in 4 wheel drive and kept going.  The temperature was 26 degrees and the traction on the road was good and I had no problems at all.

After about 40 minutes in the snow I was on the west side of the mountains and in the rain.  My total travel time to Salem was 2 hours and 45 minutes, or about 30 minutes longer than normal. 

I made it to the hotel exactly on time to attend a 4 hour Board meeting and after sitting for nearly 3 hours I was a bit fidgity.  Immediately after the meeting I took a walk!

After dinner it was back to my room to read my 12 pages, watch a little tv and go to bed.  I was worn out.  All that sitting was exhausting.

No comments:

Post a Comment