Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Day 73, The Cadillac gets new shoes.

Work flew by and I had an Airport meeting at 5:30, so I was going to skip out a little early and take my lunch at the end of the day, so I could get the new wheels put on the car and get my workout squeezed in. 

Getting the new wheels and tires

I left work at 2:45 and drove the Cadillac to Bend to get my new wheels and tires.  There was no wait, so I was confident they could get the wheels changed in under an hour and I could workout, leave a little early and make my meeting at the airport at 5:30pm.  The jacked the car up and I had to retrieve the hubcap key from the glove box, so they could carefully remove the hub caps .  The key was still in the original unopened bag and I carefully removed it from the plastic bag and handed it to them.  The hubcaps had never been off the car in 20 years, nor had the wheels been rotated.  When they pulled the caps off, the wheels looked absolutely new.  The guys in the shop were so amazed to see a car this old looking so new.

9,988 miles on a 1990 Cadillac, with new wheels and tires
for the first time after 20 years

They were very careful with the car and they even brushed the brake drum and repainted them black, because with the wire wheels you can actually see the brake drum.  I was running out of time, to make it to my workout on time so I called and left a message that I would be there at 4:30pm.  Twenty minutes later I new I wasn't going to make 4:30pm, so I called again and this time I got my trainer.  I explained I wasn't going to make it and to bill me for the missed appointment.

At 4:40pm, the car was riding on new wire wheels and tires and it looked fantastic.  I was relieved to have that project done and over with and to not be driving on 20 year old tires.  The car looked great and it drove even better.  The ride was smooth and the car felt more surefooted.  I had time to drive to the gym and pay my bill and then make it back to the airport for my meeting.

Goodnight Trailer, goodnight Cad, goodnight moon.
 I was home at 6:30pm and was ready to sit down and rest a bit.  I spent some time with the chickens, cleaned out their coop and went inside for dinner and to call it a night.

I was very happy with my car and it only took 7 months to get all 4 wheels.  I said goodnight to the trailer and Cadillac and back the car into the shop. 

It has been a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment