Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 285, A little yard work

It was a beautiful morning and the forecast was for rain.  We were even under a flash flood alert, which seems strange for the high desert. 

The first thing on my agenda was to get out and mow the lawn.  It takes about an hours to mow the lawn and it's not growing too fast yet, so I just barely fill the bag.  Once the summer heat heats and I fertilize I will be mowing almost twice a week and will need to empty the double bags 3 or 4 times each mowing. 

I have also noticed a number of dandelions popping in the lawn, so need to spray.  I also need to spray the fruit trees with organic spray to fend off disease and bugs.

Burning a huge pile of juniper branches
Across the street on the 40 acres my brother and nephews were gathering up the trimmed limbs from around the property and putting them in a huge pile to burn.  I went over to help keep an eye on the fire as they drove around property 7 times, with each trip returning with a huge trailer full of Juniper branches.

I spent the entire afternoon keeping an eye on the fire and raking the limbs and coals together so they all burned up. I thought about the fact that I am allergic to Juniper, but figured I was standing up wind and I would be fine.

By 6:30pm the wind had really started to pick up as well as a few rain drops started to fall.  The one enormous pile of branches, 50' long by 5' high had burned away to nothing and I was ready to go in for the night.

I could tell once in side that I smelled like smoke I took a nice long hot shower and took an allergy pill. It had really started to rain now, so any leftover hot spots would now be extinguished.  It was a great job done, and my brother and nephews had worked hard.  The property looks amazing and the red wheat is looking great.

No comments:

Post a Comment