Saturday, May 28, 2011

Day 299, 65 more days until I've owned my trailer a year.

Here it is day 300 since I bought my 1950 Traveleze trailer and I'm about as far from it as possible. I have really been enjoying my "holiday" but have been thinking about the trailer. Surprisingly I have seen numerous tailers and today one that was very vintage and looked like a 1950's canned ham. I wanted to tell the driver to pull over, but I was afraid he and my traveling companions would think I was nuts.

The lost city


Anyway, today we drove out to a village that was abandoned during the famine. There were 30 or 40 homes closely nestled together, high on a hillside, now abandoned with just the stone walls remaining. It was fascinating to walk among the ruins and wonder what life must have been like.

We stopped at several small towns both going and coming from the unnamed abandoned town and the scenery was breathtaking. We were driving high above the ocean on one lane cliff roads across the country side past peaty bogs, around castles and Abby's and into lush forests.
Great Irish music

Back at Ballynahinch Castle, we went for a walk around the estate and along the river. We stumbled onto the old Ballynahinch rail road depot that is now a private home(awesome). The railway is now gone, but the route is trail that winds through the countryside.

At 8:30pm our driver(Tige), came to take us into Clifden for dinner and some true Irish pub music. The pub was packed, but he managed to get us a table front and center. With a plate of fresh Atlantic fish and chips, a pint of Guinness and some live local talent, I couldn't help but feel Irish.

No comments:

Post a Comment