Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Day 288, Happy Syttende Mai

The 17th of May is Norwegian Independence Day and is the equivalent of our 4th of July.  Norway's quest for independence began on May 17, 1814, with the signing of a new Constitution. Yet, Norway's forced union with Sweden, which began Jan. 14, 1814 (after 400 years of domination by Denmark), was to last until 1905 when Norway proclaimed, and secured, full independence. May 17, Norway's Constitution Day, is often celebrated as an "independence day." 

At the party with my Mom.
My Grandfather came from Norway when he was 7 years old and my father is very proud to be a viking.  My parents have hosted a Norwegian Independence Day party every year's.  Tonight they were hosting once again a big party to celebrate the occasion and share good times with friends.  I had a Business After Hours to go to at 4:30, which ended at 5:45, so I was little late getting to the party.  By the time I arrived, the party was in full swing and helmets with horns, Norwegian Flags and small viking figures were everywhere.  The food was fantastic, especially the Lefse' and rosettes. 

It was a fun day and completely overate! 



No comments:

Post a Comment