Sunday, May 29, 2011

Day 300, Kylemore Abby and Ashford Castle

Kylemore Abby
Today we are going to see Kylemore Abby, which was one of the things that I absolutely wanted to see when we started planing this trip over a year ago. The Abby is breathtaking and the sad history makes you appreciate life just a little bit more. Built in 1867 by Mitchel Henery to show his love for his wife Margaret, she would never see the house finished as she died while on holiday in Ciro. Mr. Henry brought her back to the castle and built her a gothic church and laid her to rest near by. The property was sold to nuns who operated an all girls school until just last year. The Abby was worth the trip alone.

Our drive through the countryside was beyond words with scenery that is so beautiful and a landscape dotted with some of the most amazing history and countless ruins. We stopped of at the remains of several churches and I was clicking snapshots as fast as my camera would let me.

Ashford Castle
On our drive to Ashford Castle we stopped at a small picturesque village and there was a wedding taking place at the 16th century church. We pulled over to walk around and there waiting to take the newlyweds away was a 1937 Packard Standard 8. I was so shocked to see a Packard in Ireland. We stopped and our driver said is that a Packard? The owner of the car was happy to meet me, another Packard owner. He said he has the only Packard in Ireland, the car was fully restored and in stunning condition.

After talking Packard's and exploring the small village we were off to Ashford.

Ashford Castle is one of the Grand-dads of all Castles. The size and grandeur is what fairytales are made of. The first stones were laid in 1228 and several expansions took place over the next 800 years. The grounds around the property and along the lake shore, wind through the 150 year old gardens and forest.

Ireland is a very special place and has grabbed a hold of me. I cant believe that there is only one more day left of my holiday, but I definitely know I will be back. This trip has exceeded all my expectations and I could stay forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment