Saturday, March 3, 2012

Day 577, A surprising Friday.

I  had one of those nights where I was awake most of the night, but I was so comfortable it didn't really seem to matter.  At 4 am I was really awakened by the sound of my cat trying to vomit.  For of those with cats it's a wonderful very distinctive sound.  I got up to clean up the mess.  Luckily, whatever is wrong with the cat it's just water, so there is no real nasty mess and it was on the tile.

My new 1953 Packard Mayfair convertible
As I laid in bed, I couldn't help but think about the 1953 Packard Mayfair convertible.  I wondered why I hadn't heard from the owner regarding my offer earlier in the week.  Even though I had only met him once and communicated via email, I couldn't imagine him being upset over my offer.  So why hadn't he responded?  I figured I would send him a text later in the morning to check on him.   I wondered if he didn't receive my emails?  Around 7:45 am I sent a text to see how he was doing and I shortly got one back asking if I had been trying to email him.  I said I had earlier in the week and I hadn't heard back.  We quickly called each other and discussed my emails and my offer.  He didn't hang up on me, which was a good sign and he wanted to think about my offer and he would let me know by the end of the day.

Around three in the after noon he sent me a test email to see if I was getting his email.  I quickly responded yes.  About 40 minutes later I got a text saying, did I get his email?  I thought, wow, he's not get my reply back.  I then looked at his email and realized that he had written quite a long email and had countered my offer.  I felt so bad, for not reading it.  I quickly texted him back and said I just now realized he had countered and I accepted his offer.  We were both happy and we made the necessary arrangements for the transaction. 

It was so nice to be doing business with someone you can trust and who is a genuinely nice person.  We both bank with the same bank and I was able to transfer the funds automatically and I was now the owner of a 1953 Packard Mayfair convertible in pumpkin orange!

My entire office was so excited for me and I was extremely happy.  What a great day.  I sent out texts to Tracy and Christian and they were both super excited.  It was one week ago today that we made our epic trip up to see the car and now it had paid off.

Now I need to make arrangements to pick the car up. I did a quick search and found a few people who do car hauling and the cheapest I could find was $680.   I then talked a super good friend with a big powerful pickup and a car trailer to go with me on Wednesday to pick the car up.  Since the windows are stuck down I figured I could buy a roll of shrink wrap and cover the car from top to bottom in shrink wrap and keep the majority of water out of it.  It almost sounds like a recipe for disaster, but it will be worth a try.  The worst that could happen is it gets wet.  There is already rust in the floors, so I'm not too concerned.

Tonight is dinner with my folks and I get to tell them the news.  They love watching me do crazy things and are always very supportive.  Luckily I tend to do very well with my endeavors, so their worries are not of a financial nature if they have them.  They were very excited about the car and honestly so am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment