Friday, March 16, 2012

Day 591, Registering the 53 Packard

At 3 pm, I went home for a late lunch, hoping that I might find the 1953 license plates that I bought in my mail box.  If they were there I could take the Packard to the DMV and get the car registered and licensed.  I stopped at the mailbox and sure enough the plates were there.  I couldn't wait to jump in the Packard and drive in to town. 

The skies were gray and threatening rain, but I was willing to risk it (the top and windows are down on the car). I was confident I could get to the DMV and back before the rain really started.  With the Washington title, 53 plates and my check book in hand I headed out.

This was my third visit to the DMV this week and the lines have been small and I have had excellent customer service.  Today there were a ton of people waiting, but when I got my number I was only 2 away from being called.  I grab the appropriate form to fill out and a clipboard and by the time I finished filling out the application for registration they were calling my number.  We have an awesome DMV and the agent quickly looked up my vintage plates, okay'd them and then went to verify the vin number (vehicle identification number)  on the title with the car.  This is were the trouble started.  There is no vin number on a 53 Packard car body, it's on the engine and this car had the engine replaced in 2006.  I was given a form to fill out and I had to have the Police Department do a Vin number search on the car.  I quickly drove to the Police station, but I needed to stopped to get gas first.

New 1953 vintage plates on the Packard.
Yesterday I was at the Police Department with the Leadership program and I know the department well.  The Chief of Police was there and he personally helped me with my issue.  We called Seattle Packard parts guy, Dave, and he explained the vin number was the engine number.  The Chief signed off that the number was not to be found and a new number should be issued.  With such great documentation and long time ownership of the Packard in Washington, we were all very comfortable that all this car needed was a new number.  Back to the DMV I drove, note from the Police Department in hand.  I didn't have to wait and the agent quickly issued a new number, attached it to the car and I was all set go.  I wrote my check out for the amount told and was know the registered owner of the Packard.  My new title and vehicle registration should come in about two to three weeks.

I had just enough time to drive home before it started raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment