Monday, March 5, 2012

Day 580, The return of winter

After a spectacular spring like day yesterday, today blew like crazy and the clouds started to come in over the mountains. Yesterday I was enjoying cleaning up the yard and soaking up the sun, but that was gone today.

Today was a fun day at work and I got to meet an old friend in from Portland who was looking at the possible purchase of building.  It was fun to meet up and talk about his plans and to learn what has been going on in his life over the last year.  The change in routine was greatly appreciated and it made the day fly by.

Frozen bed cover on my truck
At 5:30 pm I had a budget committee meeting in Bend for the Sons of Norway.  Tracy came to my house, so we could car pool in and she drove.  We got to Bend right on time and had dinner first with the budget committee and then we got down to figuring out the budget.  We looked over the budget line by line and we finally finished around 8pm.  When we went to get in the car we discovered that it had snowed, winter was back.  The roads were starting to ice over, so Tracy drove extra careful as to not put us in a ditch.

When I got home my folks had returned my truck and took their nicely washed BMW back home.  They had encountered heavy snow and my truck was covered in winter grime.  Even though the temperature was right at 32, I still had enough time and energy, so I thought I should quickly rinse the truck.  With soapy bucket and garden hose at hand I washed the truck.  There was a slight breeze and the water started to freeze.  I had the truck washed in 10 minutes and quickly moved it into the shop for the night.  Once I  had the hose and bucket put away I went back out to the shop and dried off what I could and I would have to let the frozen surfaces thaw out.

One tiny egg!
Since I was dressed warmly I figured I should go check on the chickens and make sure they had fresh water and feed.  I check for eggs and there three, well actually, 2 and half.  One of the girls had laid the smallest egg I had ever seen.  It was perfect in shape just tiny.  With fresh food and water and a bag of old bread from one of the ladies at the lodge, the chickens were set for the night.

With a light snow falling I headed indoors to call it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment