Sunday, March 11, 2012

Day 586, Sunday Church and Car

The change to Standard Time had me laying in bed longer than normal and I stayed in bed until 8:30 am.  It was so nice to just lay in bed and just enjoy the morning.  However, I really needed to do a little cleaning of the house and atleast get a few of my weekend chores accomplished, before heading off to church.  The weather was a lot colder than yesterday and it was actually spiting snow.  Any work I do today on the car after church will have to be done inside the shop.

Door step plate needing polished.
Following church I stopped off at my brothers house to pick up two cases of mixed Dremel bits, so I could polish the stainless side moldings and make them shine like chrome.  The little buffing bits are tiny and with metal polish I was able to get in all the little curves and groves.  I was really happy with the results, but it took me nearly 4 hours to do one side of the car.  I also spent an hour working on the door step plate.  These plates are made of aluminum and they always look dirty and flat, but with a little work they can have a nice shine. 

It has been an amazing weekend.  Taking Friday off and driving to Takwila and getting the car was so much fun.  On Saturday I was on cloud 9, just cleaning on the car.  For me there is something so special about each old car, each one has story.  Some of these stories are well know and some are lost for ever.  I plan to help preserve as much information about the 53 as I can by creating book to hold its records and life story.

Tomorrow I will attempt to buy 1953 Oregon license plats and then go register the car with classic plates.  There used to be a company in Redmond who sold plates and I think they have new owners, but are still in business.  It will be nice to have the car registered and plated for Oregon.  Then all I will need is a little warm weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment