Sunday, March 18, 2012

Day 592, Driving the Packard

I couldn't wait to drive the Packard to Prineville to show Rick. Rick knows more about cars than anyone else I know. I really wanted him to see the car any give me his honest opinion. I had texted that I was coming and when I got there they had just ran into town and they said they would be right back. I parked the Packard and the. Just walked around and looked all Ricks neat old cars.

I was really surprised to find a 1950's Ranger popup travel trailer in his car pile. I snapped a picture and sent it to Justin. Justin replied back quickly. He wanted to know if he wanted to sell it. I said I would ask. I also knew that Justin liked old trucks, so sent a few pictures and lived one old 1959 pickup. He really wanted to know if Rick wanted to sell it and I said I would check when he got there.

A few minutes later Rick showed up and he gave me a thumbs up as he pulled into the driveway. He parked his truck and said, Wow I really like the car, other than the color. He had me move the car under the carport since it was spitting snow and the top was down. Rick gave the car a full inspection and was very happy with the car. He loved the front end and we talked a lot about what needs to be done. First thing we need to do is change all the fluids and fix the hydrolics. Once that is done we need to look at the body and put in new body mounts.

We talked a long time about the car and he estimated body and paint work at between $18,000 and $22,000. Yikes! He says I can do a lot of the work, remove the trim, interior, bumpers etc and the strip the paint. Rick could see that there was a lot of bondo in the car but he said it was a great car and that I did good. To get the car back to top shape he said I was looking at close to $30,000. That is just a little more than I want to spend, so I'll have to go slow.

I spent a large part of the afternoon hanging out and talking cars. It was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment