Monday, April 16, 2012

Day 620, Saturday at the Swap meet

Christian in front of 66 Volvo and me in front of 65 Mustang.
This morning we set the alarm for 4:45 am, so Christian would have a little more time.  Yesterday was just a little too rushed for his liking.  We all meet up for breakfast at 5:30 am and caught the hotel shuttle over to the swap meet a little after 6 am.  The meet opened up at 7 am and the fun started all over.

Christian and quickly set out see what new cars came in today.  Two of the cars that caught Christian and my attention were a 1966 Volvo and a 1965 Mustang.  Christian being born in 66 and from Scandinavia and I being born in 1965 in the US, we couldn't help but feel like these two cars were kind of like us.  It was interesting seeing them side by side and we snapped a picture.

At 10 am a small group of us went over the swap meet at Portland International Raceway about half a mile away.  There was so much to see the raceway it took us about 4 hours to walk the entire track.  It was just so much fun I was enjoying every minute.  There were so many cars I wished I had a bigger garage, so I could several home.

About half way around the track I found the coolest late 40's art deco toaster for the trailer.  I tried to talk the guy down $10 off his asking price but could only get him down $5, so I bought it for $35.  It had the neatest shape and design and it even still had the original braided electrical cord.  I was happy with my purchase and then I realized I had to carry it all the way back to our booth and then back to the hotel.  Oh well, it will make for a good memory.

A great little trailer.
Back at the Swap Meet, Christian and I went to meet the Packard guy from Seattle were I get all my Packard parts.  He had brought me a wheel for the 53 Packard to replace the missing spare tire.  He also had several other small pieces that I needed and with a swipe of my credit card I was set to go with my treasures.

There was also one very neat late 50's trailer at the show which I had to go see.  It was a nice little trailer, with modern appliances and it was drawing a lot of attention.  The price was $22,500 which was substantially less than what I have in the Traveleze, but my trailer was a lot more authentic to 1950, which is what I was going for.  Still, this was a spectacular little trailer and the people were enjoying it.

The Swap Meet closed at 5 pm and we all headed back to the Hotel.  Christian had to head home, so he packed up and got ready to hit the road.  It was said to have him leave, we were all having so much fun with him at his first swap meet. 

We all had pizza in one of the rooms and watched the NASCAR race; you really can't get much more American than that. 

Good Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment