Monday, April 23, 2012

Day 627, Spring Fling Car Show

Spring Fling Car Show April 21, 2012
The only thing I had the agenda for today was attend the 4th Annual Spring Fling Car Show.  The weather was expected to be in the 80's for the first time this year and the show was expecting to sell out event.  I got up and left the house at 7:30 am with the 53 Packard.  This is my first show with the car and I really haven't done much to it, other than polish up the chrome a little bit.  I was lucky and was parked at the top of the park on the lawn, a prime spot in my eyes.  I had really wanted to bring the Traveleze trailer and park it behind the 53, but the event organizers were concerned there wouldn't be enough room, so I left the trailer behind.  As soon as I get the hitch added to the Packard I will definitely be showing the two together.


A great old Studebaker
I entered the Packard in the "50's Stock" class and everyone gets to vote on all the different categories. They were hoping for 150 cars and as it turned out, over 210 cars signed in.  There were some pretty amazing cars and many of them with great stories.  My personal favorite was a 1946 Studebaker, that was driven to Alaska in 1949 buy the owner's father and they still have the car.  There was an excellent picture of him and the car on the Alcan Highway.  His father before his passing, wrote a book about his adventure with the car and I was able to obtain a copy.  The car is amazing and the sentimental value is priceless.

The weather was absolutely fantastic if not a bit too warm.  My friend Christian showed up, having been bitten by the old car bug badly at the Portland Swap meet.  We had a good time looking at all the cars and he sent a link of all the pictures he took to his father and brother in Denmark.  A little bit later my good friend Doug showed and we hung out around the 53 Packard.  The bright orange car was definitely an eye catcher and it was the only Packard in the show.

Best Stock 1950's
Christan and Doug both had to leave before the awards ceremony at 2:30 pm.  They had a lot of trophies to hand out covering numerous categories.  When they got to Best 50's Stock class I wasn't expecting anything, but to my surprise the bright orange Packard took 1st Place.  I was very pleased with the showing and I sent a picture of the trophy to the former owner in Seattle.  He was very pleased!

After the show I drove the Packard to Prineville to deliver some parts for the 1942 Packard that Rick is working on.  It's always fun to see Rick and see what car's he has in the yard.

Slides from 1967 of Norway
From Prineville it was back home to get ready for the monthly social at the Sons of Norway Lodge.  The monthly social is always a fun event with food and some kind of a cultural presentation.  Tonight we where having a showing of slides taken from Norway in 1967.  The color and scenery was spectacular and many of the attendees (all originally from Norway) were able to comment on each picture as to how they look today.

It was a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment