Monday, August 8, 2011

Day 370, Lazy Sunday

I really  had no plans for the day other than going to church.  Usually I go to the late traditional service but today I wanted to keep my late morning open so I went early contemporary service.  I got to church right at 8:30 and was pretty much the only one in the balcony until a few other late stragglers showed up.

The message was good and I enjoyed the program, but I much more enjoy the traditional service.  Immediately after church I ran a few errands including stopping off at Lowes to see if I could find something to fix my broken kayak paddle.  I had snapped the paddle the last time I used it and I just needed to find something to fit in between the the two halves that I could glue in for strength.  With a small piece of PVC pipe I thought for sure I could rig up something.

When I got home I changed cloths and went to work on gluing my paddle back together.  Shockingly it went together very easily and I was thinking I should go try it out.  I tried calling Doug but didn't get any answers.  I knew Tracy was having a birthday party for her sister, so I thought I would just go alone and the afternoon on the lake.  I left about 1pm and got to the lake about 2pm.  The parking lot was packed and cars were lining the edge of the road for quite some distance.  Luckily I found a spot close to the lake and soon I was paddling off into the lake.

One of the coves at Sparks Lake
There were lots of boaters and people camping on the shore.  I paddled around most of the lake and even got out and hiked around a bit.  It was a beautiful day and the sun felt so good.  I feel truly blessed to be able to spend time at the lake and to live in Central Oregon.  I left the lake about 5:30 and headed home.

It was such a nice weekend I hated to see it end.  Around 8pm I got phone call from my Mom saying that there lots of fire trucks and ambulances all over their neighborhood and they didn't know what was going on.  I walked down my driveway and looked their direction and I could see lots of smoke.  It turns out that two vacation condo just up the street from them burned down.  The fire department had called in all kinds of support to keep the fire under control and to prevent the resort from going up in flames.  The fire was quickly under control with the just the two structures the only loss.




No comments:

Post a Comment