Sunday, August 14, 2011

Day 376, New Shed

I'm starting to think that Craiglist is one of the neatest things ever created.  Months ago I found a shed that was 10' x 20' and it came with a hefty price tag of $3,000 but it was worth it.  I thought long and hard about it, but ultimately did not buy it.  On Thursday I had spotted a 8' x 10' shed down in La Pine for $700 or best offer.  I called her and found out the shed is one year old and she had to have it gone by Sunday due to a divorce and sale of the property.  I offered $450 and shed $500, which I said deal.  Today I'm going to get the shed with my brother, nephew and my buddy Roger.  Roger has moved entire houses, so I figure he would be a good guy to have along.

The new shed/chicken coop in the back pasture.
It takes about 50 minutes to get to La Pine and I didn't have to much trouble finding the place and we all pulled up and assessed the situation.  The trailer we had borrowed belong to neighbor and it was perfect but a little tall to get the deck above the wheels.  It took us exactly one hour to get the shed on the trailer and to head back to my house.  My trucked pulled the trailer and shed pretty easily, but I could sure feel t he weight and it felt like I had a giant sail in the wind.  Get the shed off wasn't too dificult, but it took a little over an hour to get off the trailer and put in place. 

My help all needed to leave immediately after unloading, so my brother and nephew split, and I took the trailer back to my neighbor and Roger back to his home in Bend.  I gave my nephew $50 for his  help and Roger 18 eggs from my chickens.  Roger has an amazing home with horses and garden where he grows raspberries, which have been very productive and he gave me some raspberry jam. I love raspberry jam, so I scored, big time.

Since I was in Bend, my truck needed it's oil changed, so I ran passed the Ford dealer and got it done in less than 15 minutes.  I am so impressed with them and the service guy always remembers my name.

Next I want to run past the junk salvage yard, called Pakit, and look for some old windows to possibly put in the new shed and they located right next to the Flyte Camp Vintage Trailer Restoration, so I might as well stop in for a look. 
The little 1963 Shasta going back together.

Flyte Camp was busy working on the 1963, Shasta and it was getting close to being done.  Justin said they should have it done by Tuesday and they they will be onto the next project. There is another trailer still ahead of me, so the Traveleze still probably has anoher month before they get to it.  Seeing the great results of the Shasta, makes me realize it will be worth the wait.  I didn't want to stay and disturb them, so headed off to Pakit, but they didn't have any windows.

On my way back home I stopped off at Lowes and picked up some wood trim and a few 2 x 4 which I'm sure I'll need for the shed.  I called my Dad on the drive home and he said he would come over and help me level up the shed and put blocks under it.  It took us about 20 minutes to have the shed level and sitting up off the ground.  I couldn't wait to get started on the shed and my intention is to divide the shed into two rooms, a chicken coop and storage.  I talked with my Dad about a window, or two and then I remembered I still had a couple in the shop.  We went and look and the one will be perfect. It has a broken window panel, but I can replace that.  This will be a fun project, and I have lots of time to get it done.

I worked for about an hour and then headed over to my folks for dinner.  Dad barbecued hamburgers on the grill and they tasted fantastic!  For desert my Mom had rhubarb sauce and shortcake biscuits, using the rhubarb from my garden. I think I might  have forgotten lunch, so I really was starving, everything tasted awesome.

It was a fun day.

No comments:

Post a Comment