Sunday, August 14, 2011

Day 377, Sunday and the shed project gets started.

It was a beautiful Sunday morning and I couldn't wait to get started on the shed project.  I really had no idea what I was going to do today, but I was ready to get going.  We had put the shed in the back pasture behind the chicken coop and my thought was I would take down a section of fence, so it would be accessible from the garden area.   I kept looking and the more I thought I just needed to move the entire fence 10' to the North.  This would expand the garden area substantially and give me a new area to plant corn and pumpkins next year.  I did some quick calculating and figured I need 5 railroad ties for fence post and I could pick those up after church.  I also needed to get a piece of glass cut fix the old window and some glazing compound.

The fence goes back up after moving 10'
before too long it was getting close to 11am and time for me to head to church.  I had my list with me and took the truck so I could haul all my stuff home after running my errands. I ended up going to Lowes and Big R, and I got everything I needed, including the 5 railroad ties, a 8' gate and 3 bags of cement, the glazing compound, tuck pins, an assortment of nails and an ice cream sandwich to hold me over.

I got  home around 2pm and got started digging holes.  By 4pm I had the 4 post cemented in and I decided I needed another 8' gate, so ran back to the Big R.   I need to have the fence back up and in place by tonight or the deer will have a field day eating the apple trees and the garden. 

By 7:30pm I was getting the fence boards back up and in place and I was pretty sure I would have everything up so the deer were not going to be able to access the garden and orchard area.  I was starting to get a little tired and and as it started to get dark I decided to call it a night.  I was very pleased with my progress and I can work on this little project all week.

No comments:

Post a Comment