Sunday, August 21, 2011

Day 384, Sunday car gazing

Today at 9am I was invited to come look at a collection of cars that belong to a man I had met a few years back.  I think we instantly became friends over our mutual interest in cars and he owns a Packard.  When I first brought my Packard home it wasn't running well and Peter with two turns of a screwdriver and a twist of the distributor cap had the car running great.  He is a self taught mechanic and can fix anything.  He  has also collect cars from all over the United States and he drive everyone of them home.  Needless to say I was really excited to have the opportunity to see a few of his cars.

1949 Buick Roadmaster Sedanette
I figured since I was going to a car collectors house I should take something rare, so I drove the Rolls.  I found Peter's house with little trouble and it was spectacular as expected.  The triple car garage held cars double deep and with a little work you could actually get 8 cars in the garage.  My eye lit up as I looked in the garage as we obviously have the same taste in cars.  Up front was a 49 Buick Roadmaster Sedanette, then a 37 Buick Century and then a 54 Hudson Hornet.  In the back row there was a 35 Chrysler Airflow coupe, then a 52 Hudson Hornet sedan and lastly a 1937 Cadillac.  I was like a kid in a candy store as we looked at each one and talked about the design and great character of each car.  When we got to the 52 Hudson, I was in awe of the car and thought it would look really good pulling my trailer.  Peter had mentioned earlier that he might let the Hudson go and thought it would pull the trailer well.  The car is all original and has the same slopping lines as the Traveleze.  I think the two would look great together. 
A 1952 Hudson Hornet 4 door sedan.

After two hours I had taken up enough of Pete's time and headed for home.  I would really love to learn more about cars and learn from Peter's knowledge on cars.  He is a world class guy and appreciates cars for the practicality and design.

At home my lawn was desperately needing to be mowed, so I changed clothes and hopped on the mower.  With in an hour I was done and the lawn looked great.  I had to empty the bags three times, so it was really long.  I have noticed that I need to move two or three sprinkler heads, so I decided today is the day.  One sprinkler head had to be moved 5 feet and the other 2 feet.  It  only took me about 20 minutes to move the one head 5 feet and I got the second head ready but the trench was full of water, so I decided I work on it tomorrow after the water soaked in. 

Pete had mentioned that he had seen this great trailer on eBay that was from Bend and I had told him it was Justin's 48 Sequoia, the guy who is going to restore my trailer.  I wondered if he would like to see the trailer, so called Pete and he said, YES!  I texted Justin and he said he would be happy to show it so I arranged it for tomorrow around 5:30.  Justin also told me that the Shasta was gone and that my trailer had moved inside!  I was very happy to hear the start of the restoration on the Traveleze might be near.

For dinner, my folks and our good friends offered to take me out for my birthday at 6pm, so I got cleaned up and headed over.  Again, I took the Rolls and ended up driving us all into town for dinner.

It has been a fun weekend and with temperatures in the mid 90's it was the perfect summer weekend.  At 10pm it was still in the upper 70's and I had every window in the house open.  What a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment