Sunday, August 21, 2011

Day 383, Drifters Car Show

The Drifter's Car Show started today, with registration from 8-10am and I planned to be there around 9am.  It is a beautiful morning and the high today is supposed to be around 90.  By the time I got to the event, they had nearly filled all of the streets where they had planned on parking cars.  I was able to get a great spot with a nice tree that would shade the car in the afternoon.

1935 DeSoto Airflow
I put a few props out with the car and had 40's music playing on the hidden iPod.  The Packard was entered in the show under the category of "40's", so it would be competing against all the other car in that category.  I also could have entered it under the category of "convertible", but there are a lot of convertibles and the competition would be too steep.

The classic Art Deco Styling of the 1935 DeSoto.
My favorite car at the show was a flawlessly restored 1935 DeSoto Airflow, which stole the show.  It was head and shoulders above the rest and was meticulously restored.  The owner had found the car in Alaska decades ago and had told the owner that if he ever wanted to sell the car that he wanted to buy it.  The man passed away just a few years ago and the instruction were left to sell the car to the current owner.  He then brought the car to Washington and then to Central Oregon where it was restored.  I was totally mesmerized by it's shape and condition.

With nearly 150 cars in attendance and the sheer number of hot rods and customs I didn't even think about winning anything.

The running of the 8th Annual
Rockchuck Ramble
At 2:08pm there was the Rockchuck Ramble event, Oregon's shortest fun run.  Over two hundred people showed up for this 327 yard run.  There were lots of prizes and my friend Jon won a $80 gift certificate at a bakery and flower shop.  With his wife's birthday coming up, he was really pleased.  The Grand Prize winner took home $508, and the winner was a friends mother and she was thrilled.

At 3pm they did the awards ceremony and to my surprise, my 42 Packard took Best in Class for 40's.  Not to my surprise, the the 1935 DeSoto took. Best 30's, Best Interior, Best Paint and Best in Show.  The owner was overjoyed with the recognition for all the hard work that went into the car.

At 5:30pm my friend Tracy was picking me up for my birthday dinner with Wanda and Conan.  It's always nice to meet up with old friends and just have dinner.  It great to see everyone and we all our time together.


No comments:

Post a Comment