Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Day 655, Fence building.

The giant auger.
Today we started building a fence for Tracy.  Her back yard had about 65' of wire fence and now they are starting to build houses behind her so she wants a wood fence.  I don't mind building fences but hate digging the fence post holes.  Tracy had ordered a one man auger from the rental shop and I said I would pick it up.  The auger was huge and hung way out of my pickup.  I had an unsettled feeling about this, but got it to Tracy's and Doug help me unload it.
Having too much fun!

The first hole we dug, we hit rock, the second hole, rock, the third hole, rock.  At closer look we realized that the previous owner had poured concrete the entire length of the wire fence to keep his doge from digging under. I was ready to say hire a professional outfit to dig the holes, but Christian and Doug loved the challenge. Plan B, was to rent a jackhammer.  We spent the entire digging 8 hole, and by  5 pm we finally got the post in place and a 90 lbs bag cement poured around each one.

With the post in place I was ready to head home.  Tomorrow I would come back and start putting the fence together.

It was time for a shower and another camp out in the trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment