Thursday, May 31, 2012

Day 665, Back to work

Frost bit marigold
Wow, was it nice to have a three day weekend.  I felt like I had really accomplished a lot and hopefully the garden will do well.  I did notice, however, that when I woke up there was a light frost on the lawn and on the roof.  I could just see all that hard work going to waste and all the plants being killed.  The tomatoes. corn and the marigolds are all super frost sensitive.

On my way out the door to work I inspected the garden and it didn't look like the garden got hit too bad.  The marigolds had some frost damage but the corn and tomatoes were looking good.  I figured when I came home for lunch I could inspect the garden and see if anything turned brown as the day went on.

It was nice to know that it was actually Tuesday and that it would be a short work week.  The weather is supposed to be fantastic, with highs in the 80's towards the end of the week.  It was difficult to be at work with the sun shining.  Everyone had a great weekend and we shared our weekend adventures with each other.  I think we all wanted to be elsewhere, but the day went fast and soon we were all back home.

I couldn't wait to get my shorts on and head out into the garden.  The frost had caused a little damage, but not that bad and everything will snap out of it if we can keep above freezing.   Redmond is notorious for having a freak cold snap at the end of June and everyone covers their garden.  It is going to take a lot of plastic to cover this new expanded garden, but I'm ready should the cold come back.  The forecast for the rest of the week is for lows in the mid 40's.

No comments:

Post a Comment