Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Day 663, Planting of the garden

Fresh tilled soil
With the sprinklers in place I needed to till the soil where I wanted to plant the corn and my brother has a huge tiller in the storage shed at the end of my driveway.  I texted him to see if I could use and he said sure.  We arranged to meet after church and he would get the tiller out and help me fire it up.  It bought it from a garage sale of his neighbor several years ago and it has never been used.  He worked it over when he got it and then put it in storage.  This was going to be it's first big test.

It took the both of us and a quad to roll the thing down my driveway and it fired right up.  This was new soil that had not been tilled before and we hit several small rocks that were just under the surface.  In total there were only a dozen rocks and after the first pass it was smooth tilling.  The soil is rich and loamy and with lots of sand, making it perfect for growing.  Now if we can just keep the temperatures above freezing.  The tiller made short order of the tilling and it was ready to plant.

The garden boxes ready for planting.
Next I worked over the small garden beds in the original garden and got them ready to go.  I was super tired and ready to call it quits.  I did manage to get the small trailer bird house I made attached to post out along the front driveway.


No comments:

Post a Comment