Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Day 664, Memorial Day

Corn planted in the new garden.
Again, it was back in the garden for more planting.  I pulled out the starter trays from the potting shed and got them out to visualize where everything was going to go. I actually started all the corn and the pumpkins, melons and gourds from seeds two weeks ago and they are now ready for planting.  I needed to run to Lowe's and buy some marigolds to plant around the garden to help fend off bugs and a few tomato plants.

I jumped in the Packard and drove into town and filled the trunk and back seat full of flowers.  I hoped I could get this all planted but I was starting to think I might have too much to get done today.  I was eager to get  home and start planting.  I started with the corn and was able to plant two full rows from the starts and then I planted two more full rows from seeds.  It took two flats of marigolds to plant around the corn.  I'm not sure it really works but I used to have a horrible time with bugs and after I started to planting the flowers the problem went away, so I keep planting them each year.

The hen's out enjoying the yard.
Since this is the first year with the corn in this area, I had to put up a chicken wire fence to keep the chickens out.  The dang birds would destroy the young corn plants if they could get at them.  This was another hour long project but I got about 50' of fence up to keep the girls out of the corn.

By late afternoon I was planing the seeds in the small garden by the potting shed.  I don't know what it is about bending down but I was exhausted.  I planted all the basics, peas, beans, carrots, celery, radishes, onions, squash, spinach etc and hopefully it will all come up.

Around 6 pm Christian showed up to see the progress and helped me plant the last of the flowers in the courtyard.  I was exhausted from planting and a few good blisters to show for my work.  It had been a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment