Saturday, November 20, 2010

Day 111, Let it Snow

I woke up at 6:45am to a light snow fall and I couldn't help but hope that it would snow a bunch.  There is something so incredible about snow and the first accumulation of any amount is always fun to see. 

Incoming snow storm
I probably laid in bed for 10 minutes before I decided I bet get up and go open the door to the chicken coop.  I figured the hens were probably getting a little restless.  I opened the coop door and sure enough they bolted for the pen.  I cleaned out the coop, changing the paper, putting in fresh hay, refilled the feeder and put in clean water.  Today on list of things to buy, is buy more layer feed, chicken scratch and medication for the sneezing chicken (tetracycline).

When I came back inside I realized I had missed a call from parents.  I called them back and found out my Mom's oldest brother, Joe, had passed away in Iowa this morning.  We were all very sad.


The Church kiosk, made by my brother and me
3 years ago.  The windows swing up and out
creating an awening for the buyer and window
for the seller.
At 10am I was going to meet Bob and Brenda down at the plaza to decorate the village and at 9:30am it was still snowing, so I called to see what their thoughts were.  As it turned out, Brenda had caught a cold, so it would just be Bob helping me out.  According to the weather forecast it was supposed to get nice around 11am, so we decided to wait until then.  When 11am rolled around the snow had stopped, so I called Bob and told him I would meet him downtown.

The task for the day was to hang live garland and lights on the kiosks in the village, 6  kiosks in total.  Bob and I got right to it and we hoped to beat any bad incoming weather.  It took us about 3 hours to get all the building decorated and the weather held out for us.  At one point I think I might have actually even gotten a warm. 

When we done, the village looked pretty good and now I really hoped it would snow.

I ran my errands on my way home, picking up chicken feed, scratch, tetracycline and cat food for the cats.  I also, made a run into Costco in Bend and picked up more garland, but this time it was for parents home and mine.

Happy free chickens
When I got home, I let the chickens out to run around for about an hour, before it started getting dark.  I did a few more chores outside, including moving my brother broken down Quad, which has been next to my shop for a month.  I just knew I was going to have this "thing" stuck in my yard for the winter, but I wasn't about to look at all winter.  I put in nutral and rolled back behind the shop and wedged in next to the Traveleze.  I desided, out of sight, out of mind. Once that was done, I went back to working on the chickens and I put in an electric bird bath, that I figured would work for keeping their water from freezing.  I also, filled the feeder and put out some scratch.  Then I made a plastic curtin to cover the doorway to keep some of the cold air out and heat in.  I just stapled it above the door and it worked great; the chickens didn't mind it all.

The nearly full moon coming up over the garden house.
It was now getting dark and really cold with a light snow fall.  I was ready to go in and call it night.  I am on day 71 of the "Read the Bible in 90 days" and I wanted to get started before I was too tired.

On my way in I had to stop and look up at the moon, it was beautiful.  There is something about a cold, crisp winter night, with a full moon that just humbles me.  It was a very special moment and I couldn't help but think of my Uncle Joe.   I knew that he was ok and that everything was as it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment