Saturday, November 27, 2010

Day 118, Parade Day and Snow

I woke up to huge, heavy, snow flakes falling from the sky and it was beautiful.  I couldn't help but admire the beauty and take in the peace and tranquility it inspires.  I then wondered how it would impact our parade if it snows all day!?

I got up and went about unpacking and did a few light chores.  I then ran some errands and I thought I would check in at the office and see how everything was going for the parade that we were hosting at 5pm.  I drive Santa Clause at the end of the parade and with the wet streets I figured I should probably wash up the truck and not take the Packard. 

With my errands ran, I needed to wash the truck and get everything that I would need for Santa's visit.  I had my own list that needed to be checked once and twice - candy canes for Santa, check; Santa's chair, check; Santa's chair decorations, check; red rug for Santa's chair to sit on, check; Santa's elves hats, gloves, extra mittens, hat and scarves, check; wash the truck, check; music (Holly Jolly Christmas), check; decorations for Santa's vehicle check and so on.  After I finsihed washing the truck I couldn't help but think the weather wasn't that bad and Santa would look much better in the Packard.  I shifted gears quickly and moved everything in the Packard, including the large oversize wing-back chair that Santa sit in at the tree lighting.


The Packard decked out waiting for Santa to arrive.
Check-in for the parade was at 3:30pm with entry judging at 4pm and the parade starting at 5pm.  We had over 67 entries and everyone went all out this year.  The theme was "The Polar Express" and first prize went to the School District who took school buses and covered them in cardboard and recreated the Polar Express, including a hobo on the roof and camp fire.  Of course I feel in love with a 1949 Cadillac convertible that was all original in soft yellow, with burgundy leather.  It was awesome!

The parade lasted an hour and half and with Santa loaded in the Packard we made the parade route and dropped Santa off at the Plaza where he lit the City Christmas Tree.  Children of all ages waited in line to sit on Santa's lap and helped hand Santa his candy canes to hand to each child.  It was an event that will make lasting memories in the minds of the children that were there.

By 8pm it was time to go home and the cold air took a toll on the Packard's battery and I had to have it jump started.  Luckily the guys behind the office heard it not turn over and came running to jump start it.  Driving with the top down and a wing-back chair sticking out the back was a bit brisk in the 32 degree weather, but with Christmas music playing, I was home in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment