Sunday, November 7, 2010

Day 98, Sunday and another beautiful day.

Any day you can go outside in November and freeze to death is a good day.  Today was a little cooler than Saturday, but still a beautiful day.  I got some more chores done inside including ironing, which is not my favorite thing to do. 

Church was at 11am and I was ready, out the door and on time for a change.  Of course I took the 1990 Cadillac Brougham D'elegane, because it truly is a  Sunday church car.  I think everyone had grandparents who had one and would drive it to church, at least my grandparents did.  The service today was one that could only be described as amazing.  One of the members of the church is a retired Pastor and he was going to speak.  He has amazing knowledge (Dr. of Theology), has a great since of  humor and always delivers a great message.  Today I learned he also plays the violin.  After talking for about 15 minutes his story lead to his violin that was resting on the piano.  His violin was made in the 1700's and was valued near $500,000.  He shared, "a violin is a violin, unless you can play" and then he pick it up and started to play.  It was breathtaking and the congregational was silent in awe.  Our Pastor got up and read words to the music as he played and the story was so powerful, everyone was glued to the music and the message. The service was something very inspiring it was a really a special moment.

The chicken pen covered in plastic to keep
 the wind, rain and snow out.

Back home, there was more work in the yard to be done.  I also wanted to remove the dark tarp from the chicken coop and cover the entire thing with transparent heavy gauge plastic.  I had stopped off at Lowe's on my way home from church, so I was ready to get to work. 

Again, the chickens were interested in what I was doing, but since I wasn't uncovering bugs they quickly went about their day.  I think it took me about and hour and half to get the pen all covered in plastic and enough wood strips screwed down to keep the plastic in place, even during the winters harshest of winds. 

Once that project was done, I had enough time to get some more leaves raked.  This time I was going to rake in and around the fruit trees and pull up the old pumpkin vines.  With the rake in hand the chickens came running and as I raked they ate up any exposed bug.  It seemed to be a great time for them and I had about an hour of raking before the sun started set.

It was dark by 5:15pm!  Adjusting to the time shift is always a challenge, but I would much rather it be light in the morning and dark earlier in the evening.  Still being dark at 5pm is just a harsh adjustment none the less.

Another great weekend was coming to a close.

No comments:

Post a Comment