Saturday, September 11, 2010

Day 40, Time for the Trailer again!

Fridays are wonderful, especially when you’ve only worked 3 days!

Chickens in the yard
I was able to run home for an extremely late lunch at 2:45pm and let the chickens out. The weather was beautiful and it was a shame to have them cooped up all day (another great chicken expression). I gathered 3 eggs and let them out.

I was also able to get some phone calls made that needed to get done while at home. I placed a call to the tree farm down the road and scheduled to have the 5 Autumn Blaze Maples delivered on Saturday and I am excited to see how the new trees will look in place of the missing Aspens. Strangely enough the name of tree farm is “Aspen Ridge Tee Farm” and I told him what I thought of Aspens. He chuckled and said they had made him a lot of money, so loved them. I can understand that, guess I would too if they were putting money in my pocket and sending up shoots all over my yard.

All original, 9,900 mile Cadillac Brougham D'elegance
Next on my list of things to get done was to order the last two wire wheels for my 90 Cadillac Brougham that is in the garage. Back in June I was able to find a set of 4 true wire wheels for the car on Craigslist in Sisters, but as it turned out, 2 of 4 were damaged and out of round. I was able to find two more in California and they were going to be shipped either today or on Monday. This car is one of the last true big boxy Cadillac’s and it only has 9,900 miles. Everyone’s grandparents had one and they are what the rest of the world think of when they think of Cadillac, BIG. The car is now 20 years old and so are the tires. The tires are gold striped Uniroyal Royal Seal tires and they don’t make them anymore. I want to keep them on the original wheels (with wire hubcaps) and buy a new set of wheels and tires. The true wire wheels were a very expensive option for the 90 Cadillac and I wanted a set for the car, if I could find them reasonably priced.

You can see the line of where I had polished to.
Five o’clock came quickly after my late lunch and I was soon home, free to work on the Traveleze. I have been wanting to polish the trailer with the Mothers Aluminum polish since I bought a jar nearly 2 weeks ago. I changed into my grubby clothes and went to work. I tried using the buffer, but I wasn’t happy with the overall appearance, so I tried a section by hand and that really worked the best. It didn’t take a ton of effort, but there is a lot of trailer to polish, so it is going to take some time.

The trailer had already started to tarnish and water spot since I had worked on it last and water spots were everywhere. The jar of polish says “polishes and protects” so it will be interesting to see if it keeps if from tarnishing and water spotting. I was able to make pretty good time and almost finished polishing the left side of the trailer before it got dark. I had missed spending time working on the trailer and seeing progress.

Polished to the center of the wheel, back corner still needing polished.
Tomorrow is the High Desert Swap Meet & Car Show and I thought I would go and see if I can find 11” center caps, you never know what you find there. I usually show a car there too, but I don’t want to take away all that time from working on the trailer.

Now that the days are getting shorter and daylight fades away long before my energy level for working on the trailer does, I have to plan carefully. That expression of “so much to do, so little time” comes to mind.  I guess I am going to have back it into the shop where I can control the light and temperature.

It's going to be a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment