Sunday, September 19, 2010

Day 49, The end of the 7th week with Traveleze

I woke up Sunday morning after a fairly good night sleep, but my cold was still hanging on. The weather was still raining and it had rained all night.

Soggy muddy Chicken pen.
The chickens were flapping around in their pen, so I went out to see how they were doing. There was standing water in the garden, so it had really been raining a lot. It’s hard to make water stand in the high desert, so the rainfall level had to be way up there. When I got to the chicken pen, they were all standing out in the rain and they were soaking wet. There was standing water in the pen and the floor of the pen had turned into a muddy mess. I felt really bad for them, so I let them out, so at least their feet would be out of the water.

The chickens needed a roof over their pen, so I got out a couple sheets of plywood and screwed them down to the top of the pen. This will at least give them an area that is dry. I had been thinking for winter I would need to enclose the pen to keep them dry and out of the wind.  The plywood was just a start and I would need to figure out what to do soon.

Placing the two sheets of plywood on the pen was just about all my energy level could handle, so I went back inside to rest a bit. I kicked back on the couch and did some reading.

Big storm blowing in
By 10:30 the sky had started to clear and the rain actually stopped. By 1pm it was still sunny and the lawn had dried out, so I needed to get out there and mow. It had been 9 days since I mowed last and the lawn needed it bad. I figured I could handle sitting down and mowing the lawn. It took me an hour and the skies had started cloud up with a pretty ominous looking storm blowing in. I had worked my cough into a frenzy, so it was time to go back in rest and get some more reading done.

On my way in I check the chicken coop and there were 5 eggs, so the hens had been busy.  I had sprinkled some of the lawn clipping on the floor of the pen, so at least now the muddy mess was covered up.

I pretty much spent the day resting and reading. It wasn’t a very exciting day, but I was hoping to feel good enough to go to work tomorrow and rest was the only thing that was going to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment