Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day 30, The last day of August

You could tell that fall was on its way by the layer of frost that was on the roof of the car barn. Luckily it was not a hard frost and it didn’t seem to hurt the garden at all.

I was up by 6:45am and checked on the chickens. I also thought I should check on the tomatoes, since I hadn’t really paid them any attentions for a week or two. They were fine and the branches are loaded with green tomatoes. Last year I was pulling bags of tomatoes off the vine by the second week in July. This year I think I will be lucky to get any vine ripened tomatoes and will probably have to pick the green ones and put them in brown paper bag in the garage to ripen.

4 new trim rings came in the mail, I only need three,
 but have for a spare.
Work was good and very busy, which made the day go fast. I came home for lunch at 2pm and I had a package at the front door. I knew it was the trim rings for the trailer, so it was exciting to see how they would look on the wheels. I opened the box and there were 4 shiny new trim rings. They only came in sets of 4, but I figured I would have one extra incase one got damage or lost.  I took one ring out of the plastic and took a good look at it, it looked really good. I walked it out to the trailer and stuck it on the wheel. It fit perfectly and was very snug; it wasn’t going anywhere, unless someone took it off. Now I just need to find the 11” center caps.

4 eggs in one day, its a new record!
After my excitement with the wheels, I decided I needed to let the chickens out and check on their feed. They did their little happy strut and when I opened the door, they raced passed me to freedom. I filled their feeder dish and tossed some cracked corn on the grown. I really don’t have to worry about these birds starving, there is so much feed on the ground they could eat for weeks. I took a peak at the nesting box and there was something new, 4 eggs all in the same box. The girls had been really busy today. There was a white egg, two pink and one egg that was almost orange, which I am guessing is from the Buff Orpingtion. How cool was that, 4 eggs in one day.

The rest of the day went by very quickly, but we had a Business After Hours for work, that started at 4:30pm, so I probably wasn’t going to get home anytime before 6pm.

The Buff Orpington saying good night just before she
 tuned in for the night.
I was home by 5:55pm and my first goal was to mow the lawn. It takes me about an hour and I got to it right away. I always do a little weed pulling before I mow. I toss the weeds onto the lawn and then just mow them up. Once the lawn was taken care of I was able to clean up the rest of the trailer cleaning items that I had strewn around and I even spent a few minutes polishing on the trailer. Doug stopped by to pick up Amy’s two kayaks and he wanted to see how the polish worked. The more I tried it, the more we were both impressed. When I get back from my trip to OKC, it will be fun to go to town on the trailer and really make it shine.

I spent the rest of the evening cleaning up the house for company and packing. It was the end of the day, the end of the month and life was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment