Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 192, New running shoes and the Lodge

I must admit as I packed my gym bag this morning and I put my new running shoes in the bag, I was a little excited to try them out.  I had been running a few days a week just using my cross-trainer shoes and running really wasn't that much fun.  I had been impressed that my lungs were no longer the reason I couldn't run any distance, but my feet, ankles and legs now didn't like it and were complaining, so I would slowdown and walk a while.  I wondered if these new shoes would make as great difference as my trainer said they would.  I guess I will find out this afternoon.

Work was great and there was lots to do.  I worked on next weeks Leadership program and next months, getting everything pretty much set to go.  I  was also able to send out a proposal for an event that we would like bring here and hopefully we will have some success with.  I'm now eager to hear back and see if they will come to the area for a site visit.

I left work a little earlier than normal, so I could make an appointment and then it was off to the gym to try out my new shoes.  My trainer was ready and waiting and soon as I could get changed we were off on  run.  The day was beautiful, with full sun and the temp around 54.  With in a few feet of the building I could immediately tell a tremendous difference in the shoes.  There was no impact to my feet, at least not like my old shoes.  My shoes supported my feet and ankles and I was ready to run.  Our run takes takes us down along the Deschutes river along a spectacular trail.  I was amazed at the difference and I just kept running.  Nothing seemed to hurt, I didn't seem to have any trouble moving at all and I just kept running.  We got to apart of the trail where normally I would be having to take a short walk, but not today.  My trainer was amazed and we just kept running.  In all we ran for a little over 30 minutes, which for me was amazing.  I was out of breath, but after a minute I had recovered.  I was blown away at my recovery time and the fact that I could breath and run with out discomfort.  I was very excited to see how my progress goes now that there is really nothing holding me back.

After the gym there was a lodge meeting from 6:30pm to 9pm to welcome 17 new members.  My friend Tracy was going to meet me at the Lodge and she is one of the 17 new members.  She really wasn't too sure about this event, but I assured her it would be fun.  The dinner was a pot luck and needed to go to the store and find something to bring.  I ran to the local grocery store and found deviled eggs and carrot cake that I thought would work well as a side dish and desert.  My gym, the grocery store and lodge are all within 4 blocks of each of each other so it was a quick trip.  I was about an hour early but I figured I could changed my cloths and help set up. 

Welcoming 17 new member to the Sons of Norway lodge.
The evening was very fun and even Tracy had a good time.  The food was very good and the initiation ceremony was kind of fun.  Its interesting to see just how entertaining a bunch of Norwegians can be.  I stayed and helped clean up and by 9:30pm I was heading home.  It had been a long day and was ready to call it day.

Once home I checked on the chickens.  They had spent the entire day in the coop and only laid 3 eggs.  I think they really like being let out in the yard which makes them lay more eggs. 

Even though it was now 10pm, I tossed in two loads of laundry and figured in the morning I could fold the clean clothes.  This would give me a jump on the weekend chores and when I get up tomorrow I will strip the bed and toss the sheets in.  I love clean sheets for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment