Saturday, February 26, 2011

Day 207, So Cold

We didn't get much snow on Thursday, but the cold weather sure showed up.  As I drove to work my truck was reading 17 degrees.  It was so cold, the streets had that frozen look with snow blowing across the pavement. 

It was your typical Friday at work, Coffee Clatter from 8:30am to 9:30am, lunch at 1pm and then home at 5pm.  I did manage to come home at lunch and let the chickens out.  I even open the pen door to see what they would do.  I needed to refresh their water, because their water was frozen.  As I walked back to the house one of hens followed me and then the rest followed.  Once they realized that the snow was cold they walked up on the rock wall and stayed there, they seemed to be in shock.  I don't know if they would find their way back or not, so I picked each one back up and put them in the pen.  I was freezing and I worried about them freezing as the temp dropped even more tonight.

By the time I got home at 5:30pm the Chicken's water had started to freeze again.  The water sits on a heater, but it was just too cold to keep it from freezing.  It was now 15 degrees and the weather predictions was for -1 tonight.  BURR.  I decided to changed the light bulb in the coop to a Heat lamp and I hopped that would keep the chickens warm.

It was so nice to be home and to have the weekend in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment