Monday, June 6, 2011

Day 308, The Traveleze is getting closer

Today I got a call from Justin, saying that tomorrow he will come get the Traveleze and get the restoration started.  I will need to pay a third of the bid to start the process and I'm ready to write the check.  The time it will take to restore the trailer is estimated at about a month, so by July the trailer should be ready to go.

In the 10 months that I have owned the trailer, I was able to clean the trailer up, remove the old paint and gallons of roof tar.  It didn't take me long to determine the trailer needed more help then I was capable of doing but I also determined that it was worth fixing.  The shape of the trailer is appealing and it represents a unique period in the evolution of the trailer industry.  There has been a lot updating and modification done to the trailer over the last 61 years and my goal is to return it to as close to original as possible.

Justin has located another Traveleze in Washington that is severely deteriorated and has all the parts that my trailer will need to bring it back to life.  I would figure he will be making a trip to Washington to pick up the donor trailer and hauling it back to Bend.

At this point the trailer will be completely broken down piece by piece and then put back together, removing any rot, replacing windows and replacing interior cabinets and paneling.

I'm excited to see how this goes and to document the restoration process over the next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment